Question Gateway GWTN156-11 USB-C

Jul 19, 2022
I have a GWTN156-11 with a USB-C port. The port will not do anything but charge my phone. I cannot get it to recognize my ACER dock. In BIOS, there is a USB-C enable/disable setting, but the setting is blacked-out and inaccessible unlike the other settings which are blue. Is there some other setting that has to be changed to enable the USB-C to be enabled?

Jul 19, 2022
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. The dock is an Acer D501 and it works fine with other laptops. I'm using it to extend graphics to two external monitors. The USB-C on the Gateway laptop is only providing power, as it will charge my phone, but will not make a data connection.

Jul 19, 2022
Note, the Gateway BIOS settings. The USB-C is [DISABLED] in BIOS, and it will not allow me to select it to change it to [ENABLED]. I think this is where the problem lies. I cannot figure out how to make the USB-C enabled in BIOS.

Jul 19, 2022
the usbc on the gateway is data only, don't have video out
as for the phone data do what helpstar said

Thanks. I have no use to hook my phone up to it. That was just a test. I should have known it had no graphics support considering how cheap it was. It was purchased by my wife's employer for work at home. They cheaped out and bought a $200 Walmart laptop with absolutely no manual or support available. I actually thought Gateway was long since out of business but I guess Acer and Walmart resurrected the brand name. Buyer beware! Thanks again!

Thanks. I have no use to hook my phone up to it. That was just a test. I should have known it had no graphics support considering how cheap it was. It was purchased by my wife's employer for work at home. They cheaped out and bought a $200 Walmart laptop with absolutely no manual or support available. I actually thought Gateway was long since out of business but I guess Acer and Walmart resurrected the brand name. Buyer beware! Thanks again!

If this is a work laptop, the IT support should get her what is needed to connect to a monitor, seems like you just need to connect it to the laptop directly not through a dock. It's not really an odd thing for USB C ports to not have full video capability. For a second monitor they need to get her an external USB video card.

Jul 19, 2022
If this is a work laptop, the IT support should get her what is needed to connect to a monitor, seems like you just need to connect it to the laptop directly not through a dock. It's not really an odd thing for USB C ports to not have full video capability. For a second monitor they need to get her an external USB video card.

Yeah, their IT "person" cheaped out on this one. Most business grade laptops have it. Still curious why there is a BIOS setting to enable USB-C that cannot be enabled. Hoping someone might have specific experience with these as Gateway doesn't provide full specs or manuals. Support line stays busy and eventually tells you to call back later before hanging up.

can you take some pictures of the BIOS? (upload to imgur.com or similar and post the links)
i´m curious as well :)

Most likely it´s a BIOS option for a different laptop with different hardware and while the hardware is not present in this one, the option is greyed out.