gateway ne56r41u laptop keyboard wont work

Solution
It sounds like either the cable came loose, or the keyboard 'died.' You would need to remove the top portion of the laptop's case to lift the keyboard out and check the cable. If the problem is not a loose cable, you will most likely need to have the entire keyboard replaced.

Make sure that the keyboard is not responding in any application, i.e., test it in BIOS or by booting from something other than your hard drive, if you can.

pridgenla

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015

the keyboard isnt doing anything at all it wont type one letter and in not talking about the on screen keyboard but im typing this from my tablet please help

It sounds like either the cable came loose, or the keyboard 'died.' You would need to remove the top portion of the laptop's case to lift the keyboard out and check the cable. If the problem is not a loose cable, you will most likely need to have the entire keyboard replaced.

Make sure that the keyboard is not responding in any application, i.e., test it in BIOS or by booting from something other than your hard drive, if you can.

Solution

RedneckTech

Estimable
Apr 10, 2015
I actually had this same issue with the same model laptop and i can help you fix it. the cable was good and the computer wouldn't even work with a usb keyboard the only thing that worked was the onscreen keyboard and no amount of drivers would resolve the issue.

First to check and see if it is a software problem. To do this restart the laptop and quickly hit the F2 key until the bios shows up If the bios does come up then close it because it is a windows issue. (be quick hitting F2 or windows will load)

The next thing you need to do is back up all your pictures an music or whatever because you are going to have to do a win8 reset.
To do that move your pointer to the upper-right corner of the screen move the mouse pointer down and click settings at the bottom. Then click update and recovery then click recovery.
select Remove everything and reinstall windows then just follow the wizard and you're done.

The bad news you're gonna have to reinstall your stuff
The good news it will run like brand new again and it didn't cost you a penny. Its a pain but not too hard all together and only takes an hour or so.

Good Luck hope it works for you