Gateway NE56R41u Will not boot

miknwv

Commendable
May 8, 2016
I have a Gateway NE56R41u. My friend brought it to me and when I turned it on, it went to the screen where it was loading windows then froze. I rebooted it and now the only thing I can get it to do is this:

It turns on, you can hear the processor fan and hard drive spool up, and the blue LED on the power button and the blue power LED on the front of the computer light up, both are solid (not blinking). None of the other LEDs light up (battery, HDD or wifi).

After about 10 seconds, the CPU fan stops. During this entire time, nothing comes up on the display, it doesn't even kick on.

I've completely disassembled it to make sure all connections are good, I tried a different HD in it with no difference, I've pulled the CMOS battery and followed the procedure of unplugging power supply and taking the battery out and holding the power button for 30 seconds with the CMOS battery out, and nothing.

Any help would be much appreciated...

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If this will not work, do test the AC adapter if it's working properly. Remove the battery and power the laptop with just the AC adapter connected and see if it will boot up or not. do also try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will work or not.
- Proceed with reseating the RAM's if trying a different AC adapter will not work, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- If it will still not work, connect an external monitor and see if you'll get any display from it. If there's a display on the external monitor that could mean that the problem is the built in display.
- But if there's still no display on the external monitor that means the problem lies in the motherboard.

miknwv

Commendable
May 8, 2016
I did all of those....the first thing I did was the external monitor (I did that before posting here) and it did show the windows screen you see before the logon screen. But it froze there. Since then, I've not been able to get it to do anything other than the blue LED power light come on, and the CPU fan will spin for about 10 seconds then stop.