Gateway NV53

lalaland

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
I just got a Gateway NV53 as a gift and is it just mine or the last one I had (had to return one because the screen went white) and this one, the microphone doesn't work properly. It work but it sometimes I cant hear what I say. Maybe I have to adjust settings?

wiggle the mic plug where it goes into the computer mic jack, does the sound cut in and out? bad solder connection or broken circuit track inside the computer.
double click the speaker icon in the desktop display (what operating system?)
this will bring up the mixer, carefully check the mixer settings, there is selection and volume controls for the microphone.
another thing that can cause problems is the microphone. if the microphone plug is mono two conductor, the mic input on the computer is stereo three conductor. This will stop the mic from working in both left and right channels. You need a two conductor to three conductor adapter for the microphone, or a stereo microphone.

MatthewM

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
For what it's worth, I'm having a similar issue. No matter what headset I use for Skype calls, the people on the other end complain that my voice cuts in and out. I don't think it's a solder connection thing, because there is consistently SOME connection with the microphone, but it sounds like every-other-word I say gets cut out. In fact, the same issue occurs when I use the built-in microphone. It leads me to believe that there might be a sound driver issue.

I would take any suggestions.

lilroo1985

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

my experience with skype calls
i went into my sound settings and did some clicking around to have windows find the error. it told me to turn the volume of the mic up. i tried it and my friend told me he could hear me a little better but it didnt last long. I had the "cutting in and out" problem going on. i turned off the automatic volume control and he could hear me even more but the quality still wasn't par. I grabbed my PS3 move webcam, plugged it into the usb port, installed it, called him, used the camera as a microphone and VICTORY! he could hear me as if i were talking on high end cell phone. not sure if this will help. if anything, try a USB mic and mess with you volume options for your mic. i'm not sure if i'm a lucky one and randomly got it to work or if i found the cure lol.

aelwyn

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Solved!
I was having difficulty with Skype. My sound would fade then come back, and then the mic would cut out on words. It just made it impossible to Skype. I tried a bunch of times to fix the Skype settings, and check with Skype Test Call, but nothing worked.
Then I realized the Gateway microphone default settings were the issue. Here's the fix:

go to:
control panel
->hardware and sound
-->manage audio devices

click the recording tab
+select the microphone
---->properties
----->levels tab

change your microphone volume to 100, and put microphone boost to 0dB.
when i tested again, my microphone sounded normal.

test skype again, and if that doesn't work, then try the "communication" tab from managing audio devices, and change the option of "When Windows detects communication activity: to "Do Nothing".
Working great now. Obviously Gateway didn't test their software after they built it in.

Hope this helps!

shady16ec

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
aelwyn Thanx so much for your help! Ive had the same problem since i bought mine when it came out almost 2 years ago, but i just gave up until a solution until now.

Just for reference for others with the same problem, I did as aelwyn above, but I also unchecked "Acoustic Echo Cancellation" & unchecked "Disable Microphone Enhancement" under the next tab "Microphone Effects". & then under the "Advanced" tab, make sure it is under (2 Channel DVD Quality). To test each of these options I recorded myself with the webcam & this proved to sound the best. +100 points from what I had! Thanx again.