Question Gave Hacker Remote access... What can I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsrutter

Estimable
Dec 7, 2016
Ok I purchased a Printer and and went to what I thought was the website to download the driver. It ended up being a fake website. I entered the model number of the printer and came up with error message and had you call support. So I called support and they requested remote access to fix the problem. Stupid I know but looked like legit Cannon website so I did. The tech ran a diagnostics in command prompt and said the drivers were corupted and that my network has been hacked. Then tried to get me to pay for a Level 9 tech to remove the hack and install network security. I have removed that hard drive and installed an SSD drive but I do have a second hard drive for storage and I beleive the programs are stored on there. Is there anything I can do to check or remove what he has done?

Cannon is not Canon

Which software did he use to get remote access to your computer?

Better change all your account passwords as well (mail, google, facebook....)

Wouldn´t use this drive´s software. If you have important private data on it, you should get it off in a sandbox environment or at least scan the drive with an anti virus tool like malwarebytes.
You can´t be sure what this guy did or did not. He could have made anything or just scare you.

Status
Not open for further replies.