Gearbox's Randy Pitchford: id and Crytek Will Fail

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

didymus03

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
As for comments about consoles taking over: Yes, consoles are an extreme piece of the growing pie, but taking a linear approach to future markets in this case may not be a good idea. With so many incalculable variables, instead of the future being devoid of pure pc games, we may see a technological merger between consoles/pc's/and notebooks resulting in a completely new market segment. There will always be a supply where there's a demand, so this direction is really up to us as the consumers.

oh and vfighter: I agree, what's up with Parrish's drama-seeking articles?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I don't get his point really! Does he blame Crytek and id software not sony and microsoft not releasing faster/more competent consoles?
I don't think id or Crytek think that evolution should stop just because two, rather big, vendors stop innovating.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]didymus03[/nom]As for comments about consoles taking over: Yes, consoles are an extreme piece of the growing pie, but taking a linear approach to future markets in this case may not be a good idea. With so many incalculable variables, instead of the future being devoid of pure pc games, we may see a technological merger between consoles/pc's/and notebooks resulting in a completely new market segment. There will always be a supply where there's a demand, so this direction is really up to us as the consumers.oh and vfighter: I agree, what's up with Parrish's drama-seeking articles?[/citation]

i can't wait fort eh day to see modular consoles , though not sure how it would fly , nintendo tried something similar on the N64 (it had a modular ram upgrade), from what i gather it neer erally went to wella dn few games made much use of it.

however today is a difernt story ,MS proved that at least some parts being modular works (sucha s thier 360 hard drive ) the tirck is how do you make a console with modular Cpu, GPU , and ram updates , that still looks like somethign you want sitting in yoru living room ? not to forget heat concern issues , if teh cpu adn gpu becomes modular on consoles , cooling will become a big concern because likely such parts would be hosue in a seperate chassis that attached (or slots into) the main deck , so you have to ask how would you go about cooling these components if they were modular.

given these thoughts i don';t think well will see modular consoels any tiems soon and certainly not in teh next two generations , currently weare at a plateu on "how small" we can goa dn stil cool off high end components the 360 adn teh ps 3 are both showcases of this , even the slimmed down ps3 is running rather hot compared to consoles of yesteryear , adn i don't even need to mention teh ehat off the 360 even after multiple die shrinks and so such it still puts out alsmot as much heat as a computer. I think next generation consoles will be a touch bigger than this gen , merely to make air flow room for teh components. which to em is not a bad thing , i'd rather the 360 been insde a mid size PC chassis than to have had teh heating issues it has

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Gearbox who?
“he offers up Crysis, a game he claims that many people couldn't play on the PC due to hardware requirements, thus it was difficult to market”
gearbox does have a point.. why even make a game that most people cannot enjoy to its full potential.
I have mixed feelings about crysis.. when I first played the game I spent more time trying to get good fps and visuals than actually playing it. Now I can play at max visuals in HD..@ 720 and I must admit.. it seems like a different game.
Because I couldn’t enjoy all the visuals before.. I just hurried through the game. I felt it was mediocre at best.
To use the scalability reason seems like a bad business model. If you want good sales numbers you don’t limit your customer base.. and then go one step further by limiting that base down to the hard core only.
At least on a console you can put your best foot forward right from the get go. I hate playing on consoles… but it seems pc gamers are getting left behind.
GTA IV is a good example.. I can play Crysis on high.. but GTA is a slide show on high.. and I am not jumping through hoops just to get that game to run. I will wait till my hardware can do it.. or a patch.. but rockstar has several platforms so im sure PC sales are not a real concern.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Crisis could be run on Xbox360 if they downgrade the product quality.
Any company could do that if they really want to.

... the problem is the hardware... at this point.
What do you think ? It's an 5 year old console.

Gearbox's Randy Pitchford just CRY because he can't run Crisis on his Xbox360 and BASH company who doesn't DOWNGRADE their product to run on console.

This just mean one thing: 5 year old console is the same as a 5 year old PC, you can't run every games on it (at MAX quality).

-unknown-

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Man, a lot of people take it personally when someone talks about the platform they like. All he (Randy Pitchford) did is speak from a business risk perspective, that is all.

No one needs to have a 'legendary history' behind them to make an argument, it simply provides credibility but even geniuses can be wrong and 8-year olds can be right so long as their argument is logical.

All he said is basic 101 in investing, if you don't diversify, your bets become riskier. How many average FPSs sell millions of copies on consoles? How many average FPSs sell millions on PC? Not as many right? That's all he's saying, if they want to stay safe, its in their best interest to support multiple platforms for their titles. You can still focus on PC and make it your #1 priority but shutting out a whole channel of potential income (ie console gaming) just out of pride is not good business sense.

adillhoff

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
PC Gaming is better anyway. I love companies that cater to superior gaming, graphics, and experience. If people are too poor to afford a good gaming machine, well then that's just life. Deal with it.

gamerjames

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
If I could play Xbox or PS3 with a mouse and keyboard, I'd move on from PC. Face it, consoles are way more active than PC.. sad to say it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.