GeForce Go 8800

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
That article cites VR-Zone who really just makes a 1 paragraph statement saying, "These are coming". yet doesn't source anyone. This same verbiage can be found in multiple forums on the web leading me to question it's validity.

Why is it that no one can point me to a working mobile 8800 anywhere on the planet? I mean, if these are going to be commercially released in like 5 minutes, shouldn't DELL with their infamous "back door nVidia deals already have this part? Of course.

As all lies contain 80% truth, I would guess that the four portions of the statement that make up that 80% are...
:idea: The site hasn't gotten hold of any juicy specifications or other information about the chips aside from their names and launch months.
:idea: However, if these two GPUs do indeed exist, they're likely to be based on either 80nm or 65nm process technology.
:idea: The original G80 chip is built off a 90nm process, and its power consumption alone would likely make it difficult to adapt for notebooks.
:idea: NVIDIA will be launching GeForce Go 8800 GS in May and GeForce Go 8800 GTX in July and will compete against ATi's mobile DX10 M76XT GPU.
Final thoughts:
nVidia's hyping a vaporware release date so people don't start thinking ATI & DX-10. IF you see a 8800 class card before Q4, you are going to see an emaciated version of what you are expecting.

I would love to have a marketing survey of how many people even have 8800 cards in their desktops, and VISTA to run DX-10 it is probably about 1/10,000th's of a percent of the market... and the game developers know that.

Does anyone HAVE a DX-10 game? I don't. I have a Dual Quad Core XEON and an 8800 GTX with 768 MB of RAM, but I don't have VISTA and I don't have any DX-10 games. Correction, I have VISTA, I have plenty of VISTA's but I want nothing to do with it. I learned my lesson from Office 2007 Total piece of over rated garbage, and I got it FREE and took it off my computer!

I guess if I was MS, and my VISTA sales were as crappy as they are (oh yea, I forgot, it isn't MS's fault sales were bad of their crappy product it is the software pirate's fault.), and I had all the problems of this OS roll out, I would find something (like DX-10) to hype and cut sweet deals to my channel partners so they could ram DX-10 down people's throats telling them, "You need this", as they do it.

I wouldn't say it if I hadn't been hearing DX-10 was "right around the corner" since last NOVEMBER! But hey, it's right around the corner now... yea right, I am DX'd out (in fact, here's me talking VISTA & DX-10 trash last December!.
What's more is that the figures suggest that 20 million copies of Vista are currenty being used, rather than having been shipped to OEMs and sitting on shelves. I would suspect that the actual number of Vista licenses in the wild are substantially lower, to the point of embarrassment for Microsoft.

I would say that almost all of those sales are to people who would have bought XP if it was available to them. To create the illusion of demand for Vista Microsoft's had to use their pricing agreements with manufacturers to cut off XP as nearly as completely as possible. If I was buying a new computer running Windows today, a hard requirement for it would be that it include XP rather than Vista, and I'm not confident that I could find one.

Microsoft's sales period for the license sales is significantly longer than 30 days—more like four months.

You make some good points. My intent was just to give some info, not entirely correct as it is. No one can give you any true sources because not even NVidia has released any information to the public. I also completely agree that these cards are going to have major issues, heat, size and power being the biggest. I also agree that the first version will probably not be what anyone was expecting. I was just intending to give a sliver of hope to people asking about these cards.

ToalMander

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Looks to me like Nvidia is going to release Go 8600 first (NB8M) probably match with santa rosa release and still working on g80 issues to make it work in laptops. There are some hands on reviews of upcoming Asus c90 (http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3616) which should use this NB8M/Go8600 and looks like they have a working sample in those laptops.
But thing is though, how good desktop version of 8600 - some benchmark shows 3dMark 06 scores around 7000, which make me think that mobile version is going to be just around 6000, which is only 500 points better than 7950GTX.
Well, only time will show.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I'm not saying it to make you feel bad, it isn't about you.
I just get annoyed with an industry that just makes up whatever they want to tell you to avoid the truth and gives more disinformation instead of just saying, "Hey guys, we're working on it, but this is going to take some time."

That ASUS again is a desktop chip so I guess ASUS doesn't want to look at what is historically a nightmare play. They're going to run it anyway. Of course, anyone that has tried to deal with ASUS support or warranty service probably has shivers running down their spine right now just thinking about owning this thing.

When I read over the spec's (or lack of) I paused for reflection on this:
Graphics: NVidia (???? -- we can't tell)
Instead of ASUS integrating tv tuners, piano gloss finish, HDMI and all that, how about I give 'em a tip. Work on your crappy headphone connectors, your undersized batteries the ubiquitous "warranty service" and chintzy keyboards.

At least they aren't burning their "channel partners" again like they did with the last batch of notebook chassis where they thought they were going to become the next DELL of end user distributed machines.

chumbawumba

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
As Killer says it's all marketing BS, the Cebit demos from Clevo said 8800go but were using a 7950. Also they said it should be launched about the time of centrino Pro (early may) but there appears to be nothing solid from Nvidia and the Dell's of the world to even hint this...
In fact recently most information appears to come from leaks and feelings from sources/companies in China/Taiwan. In one sense very frustrating but I'm guessing Nvidia and the likes don't want to commit to anything and not deliver & also wish not to show ATI the cards (excuse the pun) they are holding. If Nvidia wanted to really make an impression I would have expected an 'engineering sample' to appear in a laptop at Cebit. As it didn't I'm siding with those that believe late may limited availiability.

The real issue is DX10 is not important at the moment and won't be until games stop supporting DX9 (unlikely for at least 2yrs - imho). So while I am waiting for Santa Rosa and a 8800go this is because I can and because I usually buy a high end notebook with the idea it will last 4-5years (yes really that long...).

Anyway lets see what goodies centrino pro bring along with it. Also final quesiotn for Killer:
Surely you deal with Clevo or a reseller, can you get any time schedule for the M570ru?

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Also, to even haveDX-10, you have to have VISTA, and that is a whole 'nother level of PITA.

I heard that allegedly the only reason that DX-10 can't (supposedly) be supported with a 7900 class GPU (or higher) is some discrepancy in the hardware shader (you don't think MS & nVidia planned that as channel partners do you?).

Well, if that is really ALL that is missing... that doesn't seem like very much. How about a DX-9.9 that has everything but this magical shadering? It would make the game developers happy in that they wouldn't be exclusively designing for a very small segment of the populace... (VISTA & DX-10 machines - forsaking all other coinage).

This is a pretty simple deal for MS to implement as DX-whatever is a bunch of DLL's... it's software, nothing else. THEY WILL NOT because that give VISTAs biggest competitor, XP itself all the viability that almost ALL of the "early adopters" would need to NOT switch over and shell out more to Willie.