GeForce GTX 960M question

SkySloucher

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
Hi, I recently got given a Dell Inspirion 7559 (was previously a MAC user) that has Nvidia GeForce GTX960M.

My question is, giving this a laptop, what level of games can this properly run. I ask because I've dun a few visits to sites like "Can you run it" and while obviously it won't run super high end games, there are some titles such as Stellaris and Overwatch that it claims I won't be able to run at all and says my driver is over 3 months out of date, despite GeForce Experience telling me I have the latest one.
Apologies if this is a simple or obvious answer I'm not seeing, just wanting to make sure I know where my new machine stands.

Dustybin

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
You will be able to run Overwatch on medium settings or so, you could get pretty much anything running at 30fps if you dial things back to low/medium.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-960M-Review.137893.0.html

If you look at the gaming benchmarks, although these are older games most are playable on medium and some on high settings. On a desktop 960 with an i3 Overwatch ran with high settings never dipping below 60fps so I very much doubt you can't play it in medium on the mobility one.

SkySloucher

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

Hey, thanks for the info, that's great to know. Just out of curiosity, do you know why "Can you run it" would show a negative answer to being able to tun games of that level when it scans the computer?

Dustybin80

Estimable
Jun 24, 2015
I don't know, unless it's not detecting your system correctly or has some stupidly high bar for something being able to run. You will meet people who think something is unplayable if it isn't running at 120fps on ultimate at 4k.. maybe it's a website for them.