General Motors Announces Electric Motor Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"...in electric motors, with the first GM-designed and built electric motors hitting the market in 2013..."

2013 huh? Here's what wiki says "The General Motors EV1 was an electric car produced and leased by the General Motors Corporation from 1996 to 1999."

Here we go again~

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
ugh, to charge these vehicles you need electricity, a large portion of the worlds power is still generated by Coal, fossil fuels, etc. So now that demand for electricity will go up due to all these vehicles charging, the power plants will then produce more pollution.

There is a no win in this scenario unless all power plants were converted to Hydro electric, or Wind, solar, etc. Than maybe we'll feel better about using electric vehicles.

But atm, you're still increasing the production of Gases in the atmosphere.

Verrin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Sacre, that's been argued and refuted before. Production power plants that run on fossil and coal fuel are hugely more efficient at producing energy per mass of carbon produced than vehicles, not to mention that they have much higher standards for maintaining their pollution. It should be also noted that a fair percentage of electricity on the grid comes from nuclear, thermo, wind, and solar. So, overall in the end, emissions are reduced. Not to mention, most people will charge their vehicles at night, when electricity mostly goes idly to waste.

Really, it's not hard to find studies and arguments that largely debunk the elongated tailpipe theory on google. And even if it were true, it's not like we can't activity change our infrastructure. We've largely been shifting from fossil to other energy sources over the past decade, and will continue to do so well into the next century (also try googling ITER and tokamak).

battousai831

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
MeriaX:
Just because they made the car in 99 doesn't mean they designed, and manufactured the electric motors used. Odds are they purchased them from somebody like GE.

G

Too late GM. The EV1 was an amazing car and everybody loved it but you pulled it out of pure greed and keep the public hooked on gasoline. I will never be your customer, or any other NA car maker for that matter. Greed is all you stand for.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
General motors is making electric motors, General Electric is making...Wait....General Electric Motors, is.....Wait....WAIT....

*HEAD ASPLODES*

zoridon

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
Lets not forget nuclear power as a relatively clean alternative, even the waste from nuclear plants can be used in other power plants used to make even more power from the nuclear waste, think of it as recycling nuclear power to such a level that what is left over at the end of the circle of "life" is almost inert material. But one pet peeve I have is the argument about gases released into the atomosphere, I am not convinced man made gases contribute to global climate change one way or another. Last I checked man made pollution includes the very breathing that keeps you alive so what do you do kill yourself?.... look at old movies from the 60's and 70's and the smog that existed; we have come a long way in cleaning up the air we breath I say continue in that direction without unduly crying the sky is falling making people feel guilty for being born.

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]anony306280[/nom]Too late GM. The EV1 was an amazing car and everybody loved it but you pulled it out of pure greed and keep the public hooked on gasoline. [/citation]

So go buy your tesla motors car. Oh wait, you dont have 60-100K laying around, not to mention the charge doesnt last nearly as long if you drive it like a normal person would. Have fun waiting for your next electric car.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]ugh, to charge these vehicles you need electricity, a large portion of the worlds power is still generated by Coal, fossil fuels, etc. So now that demand for electricity will go up due to all these vehicles charging, the power plants will then produce more pollution.There is a no win in this scenario unless all power plants were converted to Hydro electric, or Wind, solar, etc. Than maybe we'll feel better about using electric vehicles. But atm, you're still increasing the production of Gases in the atmosphere.[/citation]
Which is why we should build a few dozen nuclear power stations.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]mrmotion[/nom]So go buy your tesla motors car. Oh wait, you dont have 60-100K laying around, not to mention the charge doesnt last nearly as long if you drive it like a normal person would. Have fun waiting for your next electric car.[/citation]

Watch Who Killed the Electric Car? GM was not the only ones to blame. Personally I will never buy a GM car because their quality stinks. I love how the new commercials, they focus on MPG. That's not the only reason why ppl buy Japanese cars. They are well made and have fewer mechanical issues. I think hybrids are the way to go for now until technology can make a better pure electric motor. If everyone goes hybrid, that will significantly reduce emissions and dependency on foreign oil.

zipzoomflyhigh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
But where does the electricity come from? You guessed it, fossil fuels. So how does this help us unless the electricity is produced by nuclear power plants?

zipzoomflyhigh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
Oh and to the last poster, I've owned 2 oldsmobiles and 3 chevy's and they were all EXCELLENT vehicles. We now have a 2006 Honda Civic and every week it's something else. Bumper falling off, a/c vents falling out, visor broke, check fuel cap warning every day even though it's fine, rattles, extremely loud road noise. Personally I'll never buy a Honda again unless it's a lawn mower or 4 wheeler.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
@ Zip, and the other guy. To hate on any specific manufacter is naive and stupid. Most cars are built on a line aka mass produced. Thus you will always have some inferior parts that get mixed in, and simple end up with shit results. It happens. Anybody that has ever worked on a line can tell you this. Which is why it's best to look at all reviews of certain model, so you at least know what you are possible getting into from the start. And then just hope the line didn't get fucked up.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]zipzoomflyhigh[/nom]But where does the electricity come from? You guessed it, fossil fuels. So how does this help us unless the electricity is produced by nuclear power plants?[/citation]So, yea.. lets keep running our cars because of this reason. NOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.