German Regulators Criticize Facebook's 'Real Name' Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
As much as I loathe Facebook, no one is requiring you to use their service. If you're uncomfortable putting your name on the Internet then just don't use Facebook, problem solved!

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]As much as I loathe Facebook, no one is requiring you to use their service. If you're uncomfortable putting your name on the Internet then just don't use Facebook, problem solved![/citation]
you seem to be missing the bit about Facebook policy being illegal in Germany.
If facebook seeks to keep its policy as is it will likely have to leave Germany altogether... as justified by the laws of Germany... and it is a very good law. And since Germany has a >85 million people you can bet your @ss that Facebook will bend over backwards to comply.

One question for you though is do you loathe privacy online? I see that you have not used a real name on your account there 11796pcs.

nolarrow

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
So the Germans are against Orwellian Facebook......... the Germans are against Orwellian Facebook. Wait wait. What I'm trying to say is the Germans are against Orwellian Facebook?

When I think of Unabhaengiges Landeszentrum fuer Datenschutz I don't immediately think of freedom of speech and anonymity on the Internet. +1 STR / STAM to the Germans.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Question for you color where the hell did you come up with that (in regards to the other guy).

If you think you can't use fake names on facebook still you're all kinds of special. They just can't be completely retarded. And as far as privacy if you're stupid enough to put anything you don't want others seeing online no matter where its at or the "security" to keep it private.. All I can say is LOL!!!

G

Am I the only one wondering why Facebook stressed that they are in compliance with Irish law, in this matter regarding German law?

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]you seem to be missing the bit about Facebook policy being illegal in Germany.If facebook seeks to keep its policy as is it will likely have to leave Germany altogether... as justified by the laws of Germany... and it is a very good law. And since Germany has a >85 million people you can bet your @ss that Facebook will bend over backwards to comply.One question for you though is do you loathe privacy online? I see that you have not used a real name on your account there 11796pcs.[/citation]
Zuckerburg obviously believes having people use their real names is important, so why shouldn't he be able to run his service like he wants without having the government pop in to regulate something that absolutely no one is required to use. And let me guess, your real name isn't "thecolorblue" in real life is it? Everyone uses aliases on Tom's. And that's fine, but if Tom's wants to someday require people to use their real names they should be able to. It's their own service, they can do whatever they want with it.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]Question for you color where the hell did you come up with that (in regards to the other guy).If you think you can't use fake names on facebook still you're all kinds of special. They just can't be completely retarded. And as far as privacy if you're stupid enough to put anything you don't want others seeing online no matter where its at or the "security" to keep it private.. All I can say is LOL!!![/citation]
facebookpolicy is to permanently close accounts with fake names. that is a fact on record.

the "other guy" was defending facebook, thus my wondering about the hypocritical nature of defending a company with an archaic "real name" policy while simultaneously using a fake. name in this forum.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]"fundamental right to freedom of expression on the Internet."Except for its own WWII history. Irony or hypocrisy?[/citation]
at's just plain lousy with stupid now isn't it. German history is itself a reason for the fact that Germany of 2012 has some of the most aggressive "privacy rights" on e planet for its citizenry.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Zuckerburg obviously believes having people use their real names is important, so why shouldn't he be able to run his service like he wants without having the government pop in to regulate something that absolutely no one is required to use. And let me guess, your real name isn't "thecolorblue" in real life is it? Everyone uses aliases on Tom's. And that's fine, but if Tom's wants to someday require people to use their real names they should be able to. It's their own service, they can do whatever they want with it.[/citation]
ahh... so you believe that websites are allowed to break national laws at their arbitrary whimsy and then continue to provide services within that country? is that your position? really?

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]ahh... so you believe that websites are allowed to break national laws at their arbitrary whimsy and then continue to provide services within that country? is that your position? really?[/citation]
I don't think he is suggesting anyone break any laws.. he is suggesting that there should not be a law to regulate something like Facebook's naming requirements. If privacy is that important to someone, that person can avoid using Facebook.
Not using your real name more or less defeats one of the primary purposes of Facebook doesn't it? You can't reconnect with old friends if they are using nicknames..
That said, I didn't use my real name on my new facebook account. I used an obvious nickname, cause I got fed up with clients wanting to friend me on my first account with my real name! Point is, Facebook can't really stop you from using a fake name.. it's not like they do an ID check..

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]ahh... so you believe that websites are allowed to break national laws at their arbitrary whimsy and then continue to provide services within that country? is that your position? really?[/citation]

Yes!

I don't see why it matters whether or not Facebook follows German law. Last I check Facebook is in the United States. If Germans want to connect to an American site then they have to accept that they are going to only get the privacy protections of US law.

It's not like Facebook requires all women to cover themselves head to toe in their photos. Just to make sure they comply with the laws in a few extreme Muslim countries. Nor submit all user posts to censorship by Chinese authorities.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]facebookpolicy is to permanently close accounts with fake names. that is a fact on record.the "other guy" was defending facebook, thus my wondering about the hypocritical nature of defending a company with an archaic "real name" policy while simultaneously using a fake. name in this forum.[/citation]
I'm not arguing for Facebook. I'm arguing against the German law, and in arguing against the German law I just so happen to be supporting Facebook's side. I don't support sites which require real names to be used and therefore I do not have a Facebook. If Germany required Google to put a picture of Angela Merkel on their German home page I would be against that too because my core argument is against intrusive laws and not about real name policies. I'm simply pushing a laissez-faire argument and nothing more.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Germany's laws are the business of Germany and it's people. I personally think most of the EU is about a half step away from falling to pieces at any given moment, but Germany is actually one of the strongest pillars in it. Germany has the right to block Facebook if Facebook is going against one of the laws in their country. China and the Middle East have those same rights. Again, that's between Germany and it's citizens to make or change laws. It is not for a US company to decide what's right for Germany. Facebook has the right to conduct their business however they want, but the consequences of doing so will be to lose Germans as customers. Just as ATnT has to deal with the consequences of losing my business to another company for their bandwidth rate extortion. Governments should not submit to the policies of business entities and ignore laws to suit them. Businesses do not decide laws, this isn't the US we're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.