Getting a laptop for a 5 year period and what to do

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

novagiant

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Hello, I am a student and looking in the market for a laptop, Sadly this laptop I need to last 5 year even know this is a lot to ask considering the tech industry and how fast it advances. I have gone over multiple companies and sadly have had to choose a dell alien ware, First this computer will be used for the following -

-Gaming HC
-Unreal engine development
-College
-programming
-IT
-Graphics editing and Adobe CS5 Master collection
-Video encoding and music encoding
-Music production studio - and utilization of software like East West/Quantum Leap
-MIDI Keyboard set up
-Web design
-High end-multi tasking
The reason for alien ware is because of the 5 year warranty offered.
Now about what I need from you is advice tech spec recommendations and my budget it 4.2k max
Note (that this laptop cannot be a desktop replacement)
I will take advice about desktops builds but prefer a laptop since I am on the go.)

Thanks
Nicolae V Geoghegan

Solution

So, have you cruised over to Dell and built out an XPS 17 yet?

Go here and build an Alienware M17x that has an 580m option:
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-M17x-r3/pd.aspx

When money is no object, you can get a lot of system for the $$$. The issue is whether it is smart to lug one of these beasts around.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

So, have you cruised over to Dell and built out an XPS 17 yet?

Go here and build an Alienware M17x that has an 580m option:
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-M17x-r3/pd.aspx

When money is no object, you can get a lot of system for the $$$. The issue is whether it is smart to lug one of these beasts around.

Solution
I'd suggest a Core i5-2500K gaming desktop, something you can upgrade the GPU over time for about $1800. And it will do all your heaviest work in a very nice fashion on a very nice 23/24" LCD screen.

And then one of nice, thin and light laptops like a the Dell XPS 15z. It's not a gaming powerhouse, but it will keep you entertained and productive when you're away from your room.

Status
Not open for further replies.