Getting an exact copy of windows from another machine to run on mac.

Mattisme

Estimable
Nov 4, 2014
I currently have an MSi which is too big to carry around school everyday for classes, and I'm thinking of getting a Macbook Air. The one problem is that you have to use Windows, and although I could do bootcamp (and possibly parrallels) quite easily, the school requires you to have your laptop configured, so that every time you log on, your computer attempts to connect to the proxy, logs you in using your school profile and whatever (I am not too sure of the full extent as to what it does). I'm just wondering if I'd be able to run the exact instance of windows that I have on my machine currently on the mac, and how drivers would work, because they charge you R2000 (about $140) to get your laptop configured to join the domain, so I'd like to avoid paying this for the second time at all costs.

Thanks in advance

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
What kind of institution are you at where they charge you to join the network? That's pretty insane

You won't be able to run an exact instance of your windows machine on a Mac Laptop. It'll have a difference IP and MAC Address, among other things, that are wired into the hardware.

Mattisme

Estimable
Nov 4, 2014
They do install a few programs on your machine as well, but I know right, pretty hectic price, but you can't exactly refuse to pay.
I am currently downloading parallels transporter agent, as my dad already has parallels, so we'll see how that goes.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Yeah, If my college told me I had to pay to have them install crap on my machine, I would have walked out right there. No reason to charge students to get their machines setup use a network they are already paying for access to.

Mattisme

Estimable
Nov 4, 2014
Unfortunately there's nothing I can do, and to make matters worse after they configured my MSI, BF4 just crashes whenever I start up with no error message, but I can't complain cause it's a really nice college and I got a scholarship, so I wasn't going to anywhere else. I'll update this when I've seen whether parallels works.

Mattisme

Estimable
Nov 4, 2014
Yip, I have been trying to get windows via parrallels on my dad's mac, but my laptop had so much stuff on it, I decided to remove one of my ssds and my hdd, but as it turns out, some essential Windows files were stored on my hdd, so now my laptop won't even boot. I got a recovery drive, and going through some command prompt stuff didn't work. I am really stuck now, but hopefully I'll be able to get it sorted ASAP.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Yep, hate when it decides to randomly store boot info on another drive. It seems like the most illogical thing for an operating system to do.

Both windows and Mac have boot repair options that will fix that. You will need the windows disc to fix windows though.