Is there a good reason to purchase a 4K display vs FHD w.G-Sync display for gaming and video editing?

FarNerdy

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
Hi all,

I am trying to decide between a few options for laptops right now. I have some options (customizable) between a few different MSI laptops and Sager laptops.

I know I want an i7-6700 series (Skylake) processor, leaning more towards the i7-6700HQ or i7-6700K at the moment. Both Sager and MSI offer this. I know I want 16GB of RAM - both MSI and Sager have this. I'm getting the NVIDIA GTX 1070 (8GB) GPU in whatever machine I get.

To be more specific, I.m looking at the following machines:
1. Sager 8153-S (with upgraded i7-6820HK processor, with the option for an upgraded FHD to UHD 4K display) - http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8153s-clevo-p650rs.html
2. Sager 9152-S (with an i7-6700K processor and the option to upgrade from FHD to UHD 4K)- http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9152s-clevo-p750dm2.html
3. MSI GT62VR DOMINATOR PRO-005 (with an i7-6700HQ processor and an FHD display w/g-sync, sold as is) - http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt62vr-dominator-pro-005.html

But my challenge is here: does anyone find it necessary to invest the extra money in a QFHD/UHD 4K screen on a laptop? Or will I be just fine with an FHD w.G-Sync. I'd like to not have to replace this laptop anytime soon (like I'm hoping to have this machine last me a good 5 years). Should I bite the bullet now and get the 4K display? Or just opt for the FHD screen?

Again - I'll be gaming (Mass Effect series, Dragon Age series, The Sims, Witcher 3, Tomb Raider [new stuff], GTAV - to give you an idea of some of the games) and doing some pretty substantial video editing on this laptop (it will be my portable video editor with Adobe Premiere Pro CC, as well as Adobe After Effects, Audition, and Adobe Photoshop being run). But I edit on a desktop now that is 3D enabled with 1920x1080 FHD display (an AsusVG248QE display to be exact). I don't need a ton of onboard storage as all my video files are on a couple of 4TB external drives that I'll connect to the laptop, but I want an SSD and at least 1 TB of HDD space if I can get it.

Thanks for any and all feedback you can provide.

Solution
This depends on how accurate you screen needs to be. UHD and 4K are great for video editing as they normally cover the full adobe rgb and goes into the NTSC range. For gaming this is meaningless as most gamers don't care about this.

Now the 1070 is capable of UHD and 4K gaming. But if you will see any difference is up to you as only you know how good your eyes are. Personally I can't say as I have not used a UHD or 4K screen on a laptop.
This depends on how accurate you screen needs to be. UHD and 4K are great for video editing as they normally cover the full adobe rgb and goes into the NTSC range. For gaming this is meaningless as most gamers don't care about this.

Now the 1070 is capable of UHD and 4K gaming. But if you will see any difference is up to you as only you know how good your eyes are. Personally I can't say as I have not used a UHD or 4K screen on a laptop.

Solution

Mr Kagouris

Estimable
Sep 7, 2015
A 1070 is only capable of 4K gaming @60FPS if you bump game settings down to medium or so in triple-A games, at which point going for a higher resolution becomes pointless. But I agree that for creative purposes 4K displays are preferable as they offer better color accuracy and a greater level of detail.