Dell XPS 15 9560 for video editing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahmuh1306

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016
Hi everyone.

I wanted to ask, how would the Dell XPS 15 9560 perform for 4K video editing on a professional level? I will be using Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, Speedgrade, and Photoshop on a daily bases.

The configuration I am looking at is the fully maxed out version:

i7-7700HQ processor - turbo up to 3.8GHz
32GB DDR4-2400 RAM
NVidia GTX 1050 GPU w/ 4GB RAM
97WHr battery
4K touch display

There are two reasons why I choose this laptop:
1. Portability. As a person who travels a lot, having a small and lightweight yet powerful device is my 1st priority.
2. The display. It's a 4K touch display and it covers up to 130% Adobe RGB color space, another essential.

I understand that the GTX 1050 display is somewhat a mid-tier GPU, but how does it perform while editing multiple 4K clips? For example, is the timeline scrubbing smooth? Or is it incredibly choppy?

I have watched many reviews of the XPS 15 but they only cover the GTX 1050's gaming capabilities, which is somewhat annoying given that the XPS 15 is advertised as a "powerhouse" laptop.

Another concern to me is that the Thunderbolt 3 port is restricted to 2 PCIe lanes, instead of the traditional 4. This basically means that the throughput is reduced to 20Gbps, instead of the traditional 40Gbps. If I were to hook up a Razer Core eGPU for an overnight rendering session with Adobe Media Encoder, would I experience bottlenecking? And if I were to connect a Thunderbolt RAID system, would I experience bottlenecking there too?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.