Getting directv to work in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondx911

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Hello everyone,
I've read some information about this before but none of them really answers my questions.
I live in canada, i have relatives in New york city (sister). it should not be a problem for me to get a subscription with directv.
Once i get the receiver, i'm planning to bring it over here in canada, Montreal.
My question,
will i be able to get the local channels, like WABC (new york city affiliate) ??

Thanks again in advance

diamondx911

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
thanks for the reply.
as i digged more about the subject i found that the local tv channel are transfert via spot beam. If you are not inside that spot beam, you will not get that channel. i also found some maps of spot beam depending on states. montreal is definitly far away from nyc. i concluded that i can't view them. can you confirm what i just said, am i right ? thanks a lot...

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Yes, if you're out of range of the specific transponder that carries the channel, they simply won't show up. I don't have much experience i with it, other than when my grandparents drove their RV from Colorado to Arizona, and across to Oregon, they got their local denver stations the entire time. If you're on a fringe area, you will probably end up getting it, if not, it's hit or miss. Many states share transponders as well, so you might just get lucky.

http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/dtv.html

edmtech

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013

that person you where getting it from ?? Named Ken per chance ?? I to am looking to get service again think of renting a Po box across the border

TM88

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Yep it was him. Last week was 'Black Monday.' You will need more than a PO BOX. They want a Social Security # and a physical address, as an install guy will come out.

TM88

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

Yep it was him. Last week was 'Black Monday.' You will need more than a PO BOX. They want a Social Security # and a physical address, as an install guy will come out.

ls600hl

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014

Hi, I'm interested if the sub is still available. It's been some time since I have had DTV , what equipment , excluding the dish is required and would you have such available by chance?

thanks in advance

goodguy2014

Estimable
Aug 11, 2014
I hope you are all aware that! Using a directv reciver in canada when the account is located in the us violates federal us laws and it called grey market fraud and if directv finds out they will get the fbi and RCMP involved and it can result in jail time and serious fines. I know from experience I had a friend in Ontario try it and he spent 5 yrs in prison and had to pay a 1500.00 fine when he was released.

JohnStako

Estimable
Sep 11, 2014
i actually have a PO box in NYC that i use for direct TV. I will be willing to do it for only 3 ppl. i will actually get you a PO box to use also UPS has boxes also. I trust ups more especially when you are dealing with the US GOVT (USPS). You will pay for your service and i will give you an actual key to your UPS or USPS box. I'm just doing this so Canadians can watch direct TV and pay for it. No scams or con'ing directv. IF you are interested please email me @ johnstako at gmai dot com

P.S for wnbc wabc wcbs all those local channels you WILL get if you are in the spot beam area. Just as long as you don't connect your direct TV box to your phone line. If you are out of the spot beam sorry guys no good. Also you will get NYC sports teams channels. you will not be blacked out as to watching your local sports teams you will probably be blacked out of those games.

dg5505

Estimable
Aug 3, 2014

I have a h25 with premier package nfl and nhl but no MLB .. Also it's Boston locals but u could get Detroit locals in Windsor with a cheap hd indoor antenna anyway

winsumtime

Estimable
Sep 27, 2015
Hello all I do full installs for Dish and Direct... can supply dish or use what you have. Send PM if you need help with installs I am in the Brantford area and will drive up to 1hr and 1/2 thanks!:pt1cable:

Status
Not open for further replies.