Getting inferior sound when playing music from pc than directly from my receiver

Foxdonut

Estimable
Jun 26, 2015
I recently bought a Harman Kardon home sorround sound system (http://eu.harmankardon.com/harman-kardon-product-support-detail-eu/hk-bds-880230-b2.html)
and it has the ability to use youtube directly from the receiver and while doing so i get some great audio from the system. But when I play the same song from my pc (connected to the receiver with HDMI) I get an inferior sound compared to when it was directly from the receiver.

Have tried setting the receiver as my default speaker and configuring the pc to understand that it is a 5.1 system but still I get this more "flat" sounding music when it comes from the pc.

Have it wired as such:

PC (Nvidia GeForce GTX 670) > HDMI > Receiver (BDS 580) > HDMI > TV (smart one lots of fancy features etc, problem is not really related to it)

I'm kinda stuck here and would love some help in solving this

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Stream the music directly to the receiver. Use a player which will lock the soundcard when the player is in use. Your volume controls on PC will not work when you set it up right.

Try Media monkey and enable WASAPI plugin - you need to enable exclusive mode which will get exclusive access to soundcard.