Ghosts N Goblins NES Cart On eBay for $5,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Still, for that price, big spenders could simply ignore the need for 8-bit nostalgia and buy a smoking-hot gaming PC... and just play the ROM on an NES emulator. Sounds like a better buy, honestly.

Did Toms just advocate piracy?

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Some of us 30somethings with cash to burn might still be interested in having a bit of our childhood back. Why was this game so hard? lol

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
There are collectors for everything. Its why Action Comics #1 in mint condition is worth $1 million+ or a 1943 D mint copper penny is worth over $1 million.

If only....

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I have Zelda still in the box.....wonder how much that will get me 20 years form now? My mom was a double buy freak cuz I use to break stuff a lot and I'd cry (lol) I have gi joe f-14's and a tie fighter in the box too. For some odd reason though I could never keep the cobra "a10" from breaking...i must of had 8 of those glass objects lol.

jplarson

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
I've seen plenty of grading services for sports cards, autographs, other sports collectibles. This is the first I've ever heard of a video game grader. It makes sense for sports collectibles, aside from looking at it there isn't much else to do with it. But a person could open that NES box and play the game. Now that it's sealed, it won't be possible unless you break it out. VGS sounds like a marketing gimmick to me.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
This game isn't even one of the popular collectible games.... I'd understand if it was a rare / low production game or something, but this game was ported and released on a half dozen platforms. But I guess to the right person, it's worth it. I've got a Final Fantasy NES with the original box, book, and fold-out map. Maybe I should hit up eBay and see what it might go for :p

TommyV

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
I agree with the writer. I just don't understand why people will pay so much money for something like this. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

meat81

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
[citation][nom]TommyV[/nom]I agree with the writer. I just don't understand why people will pay so much money for something like this. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.[/citation]

Plus this game wasnt that great either.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]Still, for that price, big spenders could simply ignore the need for 8-bit nostalgia and buy a smoking-hot gaming PC... and just play the ROM on an NES emulator. Sounds like a better buy, honestly.Did Toms just advocate piracy?[/citation]

Errm...most emulators aren't against the law.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]Still, for that price, big spenders could simply ignore the need for 8-bit nostalgia and buy a smoking-hot gaming PC... and just play the ROM on an NES emulator. Sounds like a better buy, honestly.Did Toms just advocate piracy?[/citation]
I think all those old ROM sites used to have some sort of disclaimer about how they were for backups only and had to be deleted after 24 hours blah blah blah.

Still, this is obviously a collectors item, not for playing with. Suggesting an emulator would be like telling someone to just go buy MLB 2011 and an XBox with the money they spent buying an autographed Babe Ruth baseball.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]liquidchild[/nom]I have Zelda still in the box.....wonder how much that will get me 20 years form now? My mom was a double buy freak cuz I use to break stuff a lot and I'd cry (lol) I have gi joe f-14's and a tie fighter in the box too. For some odd reason though I could never keep the cobra "a10" from breaking...i must of had 8 of those glass objects lol.[/citation]

I bet you are millionaire and didn't even know it! Your mom is a genius, she was actually creating your trust fund.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
No kidding for 5 grand you could make an arcade box filled with an low power processor and a sutable display. Or a vintage arcade unit even!

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006

LOL Wake up dude! NES games (the originals) have long since had their Patents/Copyrights expired. NES ROMS are actually quite legal these days.

Next time you're in Wal-Mart or some cheesy electronics 'gift shop' look around. A couple years ago companies were making NES rip offs that you hooked to your TV and already had like 100+ games pre-installed on the system itself.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Unfortunately, thanks almost entirely to Disney, Nintendo's copyright on those games is NOT expired. Every time Disney's copyright runs out on their original cartoons, they pay off congress to extend copyright, which encompasses all forms of intellectual property.

tl;dr Disney is insane, congress is corrupt, and thanks to copyright don't expect ROM immunity.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Ahh, I remember a certain glitch when the key dropped after defeating a boss, you catch it while ducking and jump to the left to catch your foot on an object, then you would be dragged through the door and skip to a level higher. Sort of like a Super Mario (warp to level X). I see the emulator comment was dropped. This was one of my favorite games, I have the *newer PSP version. The original arcade was far ahead of it's time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.