gigabyte laptop burned

Shariefa

Commendable
Feb 12, 2016
my laptop just stopped working while i was using it it switched of by it self. so i took it for repair and the ram was replaced and i took it home used it for an hour and it switch of again this time with a burning smell left behind from the charging port side..what could it be and can it be fixed?and how?

zer0c00l587

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
I have read of such incidents before, some had only need replace the jack of the charging port, if thats exactly what occurred on your laptop. Secondly if its the jack i would also replace the charger also as it could have been damaged. Repair shops will probably have you replace the motherboard completely, granted this may be needed but sometimes only the jack needs replacing which is far, far cheaper than entire motherboard and if its the case of a new board i would rather get another new laptop. I get suspicious if something else goes wrong immediately after repair. Good to check on sites like hello peter if they have been flagged by other customers for shoddy repair jobs.

Try turning the laptop on with only the battery connected, luckily you may boot into windows, which means the jack needs replacing and probably the charger. If you get into bios and get a windows error, try booting from windows cd/dvd.

zer0c00l587

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
Do not connect another charger even if new, to the laptop until a tech looks at it, preferably someone else with known good rep other than the first company that had you replace the ram first time round unless you are sure this burning smell from the jack is just a coincidence.