Girl Confuses Wiimote with Loaded Gun, Dies

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Kevin Parrish ++ for writing an article with more than one reference. Hope to see more responsibly reported articles like that.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]wow a loaded gun + 3 year old kid + reachable place = Bad.At least they could have put it somewhere where she couldn't reach.[/citation]
terrible..just terrible.. dont blame guns.. it could have been drainO.. or a kitchen knife.. parenting is a HUGE responsibility.. period.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
That's why they put a safety lock as a backup precaution. But the primary thing to do is always unload the gun and keep it away from reach especially with kids around.

G

Is it possible for a 3 year old to even apply enough power to squeeze the trigger at that angle? I smell something fishy here.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Why would a 3 year old play games on the Wii where they use a simulated gun? Why would a parent play games that is not rated as safe for kids in the presence of kids?

"IF" that 3 year old thought it was a WiiMote, it's totally the parent's fault as one of the answers for the 2 questions above is a "Yes".

How hard is a trigger to pull on a handgun? Can a 3 year old successsfully pull the trigger like that? I thought it required a certain amount of force. Not an excuse, I'm just wondering.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Let's not forget people, these are extremely rare events and nothing to get up in arms about. There are BILLIONS of people on this planet and in different parts of the world stuff like this and many, many times worse happens EVERY DAY.

spoondigity

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2002
I agree that the person who wrote this article should have refrained from writing "Although, why the girl was pointing what she thought was a gun-controller at her abdomen in the shooting direction to begin with, is a mystery". This makes it almost sound like it is somewhat the 3 year olds fault for not acting in a reasonable manner.

I can only guess that the writer does not have kids. A child at that age can't be expected to do 'what seems reasonable' to an adult.

Also, there is no excuse for the parent. If you own a gun, when handling it, gun safety should be the sole focus of your attention until it is secured. Otherwise you put everyone at risk. Not just a 3 year old who doesn't know better.

G

Also, that story does not make any sense. The guy gets his weapon because he senses danger outside, then he LEAVES the gun exactly when he would need/use it?
WTF?

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
This is too sad.
Being of a father of two I can not imagine loosing my children.
My prayers go to the parents and all those who loved her.

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]That is obviously a lie, since any real gun would need a certain amount of pressure that no 3 year old has, to be able to fire. And by "unloading the ammo" do you mean the gun only had 1 bullet? And also a 3yearold girls hand is too small to shoot a gun. AND whats a 3 year old girl doing playing video games, theres an age for everything and that age isnt at all for gaming.[/citation]

Agreed. Although i do believe a lot of gun trigger's are able to be pressed very lightly to fire, i do not see a 3 year old being able to hold and handle the gun in such a way as to shoot herself, especially if it was more than one shot.

They need to investigate this further, it sounds fishy to me. Listen to the situation too: He pulled the gun out (presumably during the day, since his child was still awake) because the thought there was a 'prowler'? BS. No one goes and gets a gun just because they hear something strange outside. If someone broke down your door with you home, during the day, (as unlikely as that may be), then yes, you'd run for a weapon, but comeon, i don't go grabbing loaded guns when i hear noises outside

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]cirdecus[/nom]Agreed. Although i do believe a lot of gun trigger's are able to be pressed very lightly to fire, i do not see a 3 year old being able to hold and handle the gun in such a way as to shoot herself, especially if it was more than one shot. They need to investigate this further, it sounds fishy to me. Listen to the situation too: He pulled the gun out (presumably during the day, since his child was still awake) because the thought there was a 'prowler'? BS. No one goes and gets a gun just because they hear something strange outside. If someone broke down your door with you home, during the day, (as unlikely as that may be), then yes, you'd run for a weapon, but comeon, i don't go grabbing loaded guns when i hear noises outside[/citation]

If someone broke down your door during the day it is too late to run for a gun. Chances are you will get caught or worse yet shot in the back running. I always get my shotgun if I hear something outside that I am not familiar with. The problem here is the father didn't have the sense to put it back where it belongs.

I do agree that most handguns require more pressure than most 3 year olds can muster to fire a round unless modified. Something is not adding up.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
For his own sanity, I just hope that the girl's real father is dead, and not merely a divorcee. If that were my daughter, I'm not sure what punishments I wouldn't visit on that jack-a stepdad.

Status
Not open for further replies.