Girl Confuses Wiimote with Loaded Gun, Dies

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gladiator_mohaa

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]That is obviously a lie, since any real gun would need a certain amount of pressure that no 3 year old has, to be able to fire. And by "unloading the ammo" do you mean the gun only had 1 bullet? And also a 3yearold girls hand is too small to shoot a gun. AND whats a 3 year old girl doing playing video games, theres an age for everything and that age isnt at all for gaming.[/citation]

I owned a Beretta M9 and agree my gun is far to big and the heavy trigger for a 3 year old to fire effectively, but it is still possible for a kid to hurt or kill them self or someone else due to the careless handling of a kid. Now this gun was a 380. A lot of 380 model are really small and can easily be handled by a toddler. 380 cal is usually more focus to self defense and market to females. It makes perfect sense that this weapon was easily discharged by a toddler. It is very sad situation for the child and clear carelessness on behalf of the parents.

Known2Bone

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
dont get a big one you guys if i though there was somhing outside my window i would shure as heck pull out my gun if it meant i could protect my wife and 3 year old.... the wii is not to blame and while the parents did make a misake i would not like to see them spend life behind bars.... should this man stiil be able to own a gun? now thats another story

wifiwolf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Hard to believe how she points the gun at herself and is strong enough to pull the trigger. A 3 year old girl would need some workout for that.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
"The whole issue of the girl confusing the gun with a Wii controller should be thrown out the window. Little children are curious, and will even dig through the contents of a trashcan in search of hidden treasures. It's in their nature. Leaving an armed weapon within the child's reach is pure negligence no matter what the resident Wii controller looks like. Games aren't the blame here: bad parenting is"

let's just hope the media sees it the same way..

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]Another senseless death of a child. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge second amendment supporter, but when I here these stories it just drives me crazy how stupid parents can be.[/citation]

agree and agree.

Repelsteeltje

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Whatever. Mod me down daft gun-freaks, but anybody getting a loaded gun out and putting the safety off after hearing a noise outside is already a fool in my book. To leave it then on the living room table with a 3-year old around just shows once again that there are a lot of stupid people incapable of dealing with a weapon doing such permanent damage. See, it's not so much guns I dislike, it's just my lack of faith in the intelligence of fellow human beings.

redux fountain

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
In the spirit of pointless speculation of us civilians (as opposed to the police investigating this), it sounds like the parents killed thier daughter in a way that would match the details of the acount they are telling police. Hearing a prowler outside requires no physical proof to verify or prove false. Every thing about thier story gives off the apperance of a mock up.

lapalm

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Everyone attacking the parent as if it couldn't happen to them. That's a mix a misfortune and negligence. Sure the parents will be tried, but none of this would have happen without a gun in the first place.
I've no problem with hunting rifle, but with handgun, who really needs them? Except to kill another human being.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Well its a good thing that DADDY had a gun to protect his family against noises...

These people don't sound too bright... and are not smart enough to handle a gun.

In the next 1-2 days we'll soon start hearing about how video games kill people and that the Wii is now one of them as well... never mind the real cause.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
You know what I think... the stepdad shot the kid and blamed it on the kid accidentially shooting themself.

Here's why: For one thing it's actually a little ahrd to point a gun at yourself and pull the trigger, it's very awkward and harder on the muscles ESPECIALLY for a 3yr old. The gun is heavy, handguns are solid steel and not very 3-yr old friendly. A burgler? What a crock of crap, what are the chances? And then you just leave the loaded gun on the table with 3-yr old running around? I don't think so, even a complete idiot isn't that stupid.

I think this step dad is going to try and sue Nintendo for making their gun look similar to a real gun. I bet $10 on it. Either that or he hates the stupid step kid and this was a logical way out for a piece of crap like him, or both to be honest.

Toughts? I just don't believe all those peices fell in place perfectly and a 3yr old was able to point a gun at themselves and then think it was a good idea (or even able) to try and pull the trigger.

gladiator_mohaa

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
All you people you keep saying a 380 is a large gun are completely ignorant. I have never seen a LARGE pistol that use a .380 cartridge. The 380 is a small firearm and could easily be used by a toddler and I am scared for your toddlers if you have an incompetent thinking precess causing you to believe that YOUR toddler has no ability to fire a small firearm accidentally. I will end with stupid should not breed.

gladiator_mohaa

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
All you people you keep saying a 380 is a large gun are completely ignorant. I have never seen a LARGE pistol that use a .380 cartridge. The 380 is a small firearm and could easily be used by a toddler and I am scared for your toddlers if you have an incompetent thinking precess causing you to believe that YOUR toddler has no ability to fire a small firearm accidentally. I will end with stupid should not breed.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]redux fountain[/nom]In the spirit of pointless speculation of us civilians (as opposed to the police investigating this), it sounds like the parents killed thier daughter in a way that would match the details of the acount they are telling police. Hearing a prowler outside requires no physical proof to verify or prove false. Every thing about thier story gives off the apperance of a mock up.[/citation]This thought was definitely on my mind as well. If not, the stepfather was just a complete imbecile, if you have a firearm on your person, it should not leave your possession until you put somewhere safe.

Also I agree with the post that said that the title should read Girl confuses loaded gun with Wiimote, it makes a lot more sense that way.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]That is obviously a lie, since any real gun would need a certain amount of pressure that no 3 year old has.[/citation]
You havn't used that many guns in your life have you? I have seen triggers so sensitive you can cough and they fire.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I absolutely love gun control. I'm glad they're almost entirely banned in the United Kingdom.

Surprisingly I'm not being sarcastic. People who support guns are idiots. Yes, all of you. Every. Single. One.

Status
Not open for further replies.