Girl Confuses Wiimote with Loaded Gun, Dies

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gpace

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
This will also be used as a reason for gun control. I personally think that it should be a lot harder to get a gun. People should have to go through a test or tests to show that they are mentally stable enough, (this is a big one) have common sense, and understand the dangers of owning a gun to get a gun license. Getting a gun licence should be as hard as, if not harder then getting a driving licence.

Of course, the lawyers and anti-gaming people will use this as another reason why games are bad, ignoring the true reasons for why this happened, parents who weren't thinking. Also, why would the little kid be playing shooting games at that young of an age? Bad parenting if you ask me.

G

bdonedge: Surprisingly I'm not being sarcastic. People who support guns are idiots. Yes, all of you. Every. Single. One.

Since cars kill hundreds of more people per day, "People who support, drive and buy cars are idiots. Yes, all of you, Every. Single. One."
It's people like you who never solve any problems or hold anyone accountable for their actions. You only create the ability to justify idiocy and hypocrisy,(it's everything else's fault),...but never accountability or maturity within society.

b2man

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Although, why the girl was pointing what she thought was a gun-controller at her abdomen in the shooting direction to begin with, is a mystery.

The girl is 3 years old Kevin. Get with it. You're the one who stated such in your article. At three years old, a child doesn't understand the stupidity of pointing a loaded pistol at their stomach.

Stick to telling the news, and stop adding your own personal mumbo jumbo to the article.

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Well its a good thing that DADDY had a gun to protect his family against noises...These people don't sound too bright... and are not smart enough to handle a gun.In the next 1-2 days we'll soon start hearing about how video games kill people and that the Wii is now one of them as well... never mind the real cause.[/citation]

I thought the same ironic thing.

Look I'm not against guns, however I am against idiots like this having access to it. For those of you who don't believe a child is capable of firing a .380 caliber pistol, thionk again. Ever heard the phrase "hare-trigger". Some of this guns have very sensitive triggers. Some gun manufacturers even consider that a feature so women can easily fire them.

The father needs to be tried for child neglect and never again allowed to own or handle a gun.

freenumber

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Nobody casually lays a gun on the table when they think a prowler is lurking nearby. Nobody casually lays a gun anywhere, unless they're high on something. That's a precious possession, and you'd especially get highly sensitive to a 3 year old possibly getting their hands on it. They touch everything at that age. How many times that day did they tell her "No, don't touch that."

*If* the story is true, then the parents knew that she was going to grab the gun. The WII remote was probably never even used.

G

The father probably shot his daughter accidentally thinking she was the burglar and the wiimote is just an excuse.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]pmr100[/nom]That is why i think civilians should not be able to buy and own guns.[/citation]

... and that's why I think you shouldn't be able to breed.

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Sad. This is why parents have to pay attention to everything. Put the gun up and lock it, turn on the saftey, etc.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
under what condition would you have a loaded gun just lying on a table? even to protect against burglars wouldn't you put it in your bedside drawer. unless you need it to protect yourself from your wife's cooking?

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I am card carrying member of the NRA, that should get how I feel about firearms out of the way. When my son was old enough we had the talk...no not the birds and the bees talk... the gun talk. I showed him to not fear but respect firearms. They were not toys, etc etc. Some will say the Dad had a momentary lapse of judgment. But when you have firearms in the house you can never ever have a lapse in judgment. That is the responsibility you take on by having them in the house. My firearms are locked in a vault and I have one in a safe in my night stand that can only be opened with my thumb scan. The father should and will be charged but nothing they can do to him is worse than causing the death of your child. ..and my final comment..."That is why I think civilians should not be able to buy and own guns."Then only the bad guys will have them. You will never get guns off the streets unless our society as a whole goes through a radical change. That will not happen in my life time or for many many many years. Not being pessimistic, being practical which the person who made the comment obviously is not.[/citation]
In a country with Banned guns.... Toronto, being the 5th largest municipality in North America has the lowest crime rates of any Metropolis in North America. To the point where I can feel safe walking its streets. It's really not even "only the bad guys" Very few bad guys even have them. it's SO hard to acquire and i'm sure that 98% of the guns in Canada COME from the USA.

G

I can see how that happened. My nephew is three years old and grew up watching his dad play call of duty 4 all night long. Now the funny thing here is that if you have a fake gun and pretend shoot him he will play dead (since 1 and a half years old). We assume it's because of that POS father of his, who- thankfully, is no longer taking care of him. Isn't it F****D up to know that kids believe that dying is a game?

theangrygimp

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
clearly the Wii angle is only a way for the parents to scapegoat the responsibility that they clearly failed in holding. He thought he heard a prowler, so he took out his (?locked up?) weapon, but didn't put it back after, when they had small children in the place? They didn't find an intruder, so they just laid the weapon in the reach of a small child, without the safety on? If most people thought an intruder was around, wouldn't they have kept the pistol close (nightstand drawer?) by, just in case? Something just doesn't add up on this. Either they were really negligent, or something else happened (like accidental discharge while playing with it), and they don't want to go to prison for it. How would a 3yr old know how to handle the gun? Even if the kid had learned from Wii, what the hell were the parents doing letting a 3yr old play a GUN game that teaches how to handle firearms?!?? This is either seriously bad parenting, or worse, lies to cover up an accident from ridiculously bad parenting.
Also, people trying to say this is a reason why we shouldn't have guns at all or whatever, what if the kid accidentally stabbed themselves running with a knife the parent laid within reach after thinking there was an intruder? Would you want to ban kitchen knives cause of their bad parenting? Funny how gun control advocates never do the math of how many lives they save in the prevention of crimes when criminals are swayed away from a residence that advertises they are armed(property protected by smith and wesson, etc..), or ran away after the victim pulls a gun ..... Remember, the trigger doesn't pull itself, and it certainly doesn't point itself.

theangrygimp

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
clearly the Wii angle is only a way for the parents to scapegoat the responsibility that they clearly failed in holding. He thought he heard a prowler, so he took out his (?locked up?) weapon, but didn't put it back after, when they had small children in the place? They didn't find an intruder, so they just laid the weapon in the reach of a small child, without the safety on? If most people thought an intruder was around, wouldn't they have kept the pistol close (nightstand drawer?) by, just in case? Something just doesn't add up on this. Either they were really negligent, or something else happened (like accidental discharge while playing with it), and they don't want to go to prison for it. How would a 3yr old know how to handle the gun? Even if the kid had learned from Wii, what the hell were the parents doing letting a 3yr old play a GUN game that teaches how to handle firearms?!?? This is either seriously bad parenting, or worse, lies to cover up an accident from ridiculously bad parenting.
Also, people trying to say this is a reason why we shouldn't have guns at all or whatever, what if the kid accidentally stabbed themselves running with a knife the parent laid within reach after thinking there was an intruder? Would you want to ban kitchen knives cause of their bad parenting? Funny how gun control advocates never do the math of how many lives they save in the prevention of crimes when criminals are swayed away from a residence that advertises they are armed(property protected by smith and wesson, etc..), or ran away after the victim pulls a gun ..... Remember, the trigger doesn't pull itself, and it certainly doesn't point itself.

Lastly, this is a Fox "news" story.... take it with healthy dose of skepticism given their track record for distorting facts to sell ad space.

dugudr

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
A 5 year old would likely point the gun. A 3yo probably like to fidle with it and small hands holding the gun w thumb at trigger is easier.

noiz

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Although, why the girl was pointing what she thought was a gun-controller at her abdomen in the shooting direction to begin with, is a mystery.

That is a mystery indeed...

Status
Not open for further replies.