Gmail Logo Was a Rush Job With Two Totally Different Fonts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Oh come on... I can't pop a single Apple joke without starting another Apple vs. Google flamewar? I don't like Apple, but FFS, this is becoming tiresome! I think Tom's should have a special flame war forum...

[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]It was a comparison and well Apple has said they spend a lot of time and manpower on their designs and Google just said they did it at the last second and yet both worked...[/citation]

^ THIS is all I ever wanted it to be. +1 for getting this.

oxiide

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
[citation][nom]motheninja[/nom]why does everybody on this forum hate apple? Iam genuinely curious...[/citation]
Apple is notorious for artificially forcing their own products into obsolescence. Such as disabling software support for certain pieces of hardware for marketing reasons, in order to force the user to need to buy new hardware. I can only speak for myself, and that's my biggest complaint. I'm also not impressed with the level of proprietary control they force on their products, or their intentional reliance on their audience's misconceptions and willful ignorance to sell their products.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
One of those things only 1 in a million people might have noticed and now that I know to look for it, I'm going to see two different fonts standing out every time I see the gmail logo. Hopefully it doesn't make my OCD brain blow a gasket wanting to make all the characters match!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]someoneelse[/nom]a google story with a comments section full of apple hate - just a little too familiar Why hate apple? - after all if it weren't for the iphone google would have nothing to copy for android.[/citation]

well, apple introduced the "thin war", because apple sold cool, everyone followed, and trys to make their phones thinner. i have 2 older phones, that are JUST phones, and the batteries in them are thicker than an ipod touch i think 2nd or 3rd generation. you cant tell me that if apple didnt start that retarded thin war that we wouldn't have decent battery life in phones.

if apple didnt make a phone that did everything but never advertised itself as a phone, we may even have decent microphones and a decent speaker in the phone so you can actualy understand what the other person is saying.

the last one isnt apples fault specifically, but they are the ones that made the smart phones desirable, and they are the ones who couldn't put decent equipment in them as a damned standard for what, 6-800$ what ever they sell for with out subsudiseing.

and with apple being literally more about design than function (see you are holding it wrong as an example, also see the samsung lawsuit which points out they look similar as a key point) and how they do spend millions concerned about every little rounded corner of the device, and google apparently saying "oh #$^& we forgot the logo... i dont know... whatever, lets mash 2 fonts and make the m look like a letter" and it turning into something that... has it changed once... you have to admit that is a funny to imagine.

G

I wouldn't worry too much about aquiring a graphic designers eye from an internet article. I think it's a little more complicated than that...

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]well, apple introduced the "thin war", because apple sold cool, everyone followed, and trys to make their phones thinner. i have 2 older phones, that are JUST phones, and the batteries in them are thicker than an ipod touch i think 2nd or 3rd generation. you cant tell me that if apple didnt start that retarded thin war that we wouldn't have decent battery life in phones.[/citation]

THANK YOU! Finally someone else who sees that... I so don't care if my phone is twice as thick as long as it has more battery life!!!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]THANK YOU! Finally someone else who sees that... I so don't care if my phone is twice as thick as long as it has more battery life!!![/citation]
Of course wait for the 6000 word reply from Watcha droning on about Apple battery life, starting with "Apple is the best at ... then copying in the whole of "A Tale Of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens ... then ending with and more blah blah blah, before getting marked down to -20, as much for spamming as anything else.
Fact, you can have a spare and swap out a battery in almost every phone, apart from one, you can have 3 guesses but 2 don't count...

TheMaristBoy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Google person 1: We need a logo with deep impact, elegant, impressive, and above all. expensive to ma-
Google Boss: Ahh screw it, get some random guy to make one. IT WILL BE EPIC.

ajkritch

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Apple: pours millions of dollars and hundreds of workhours into so-called "design" of every last detail.Google: does design overnight, still kicks Apple's ass.[/citation]

Are you sure about that?

ajkritch

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
A fairly typical bout of comments for a Tomshardware article.

Every single Apple-bashing comment is rated above +10, where every comment that dares to defend Apple is hidden away with rating -20. All of this on an article that isn't even ABOUT Apple.

There's a good reason why Hexus and AnandTech are held in such high regard in the tech industry compared to Tomshardware. I genuinely doubt the average age of readership here is greater than 18. I feel more sorry for the people who run Tomshardware than I do for the pre-pubescent fandroids that troll it hour after hour.

9_breaker

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Apple: pours millions of dollars and hundreds of workhours into so-called "design" of every last detail.Google: does design overnight, still kicks Apple's ass.[/citation]

in what

amdfangirl

Distinguished
Herald
Apr 7, 2008
[citation][nom]ajkritch[/nom]A fairly typical bout of comments for a Tomshardware article.Every single Apple-bashing comment is rated above +10, where every comment that dares to defend Apple is hidden away with rating -20. All of this on an article that isn't even ABOUT Apple.There's a good reason why Hexus and AnandTech are held in such high regard in the tech industry compared to Tomshardware. I genuinely doubt the average age of readership here is greater than 18. I feel more sorry for the people who run Tomshardware than I do for the pre-pubescent fandroids that troll it hour after hour.[/citation]

Age has nothing to do with maturity.

We sometimes have civil discourse here, mind you.

But how would I know? I'm the kind of hippee who avoids this with a cup and string.

Best battery life methinks ;).

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
A) I did notice.
B) I thought it was done on purpose, because google is quirky like that AND they had historically changed the fonts for the Google homepage so often...

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
ajkritch...

I think it's just become an automatic response due to the very vocal "fanboys" from the past. And present. And the abundance of Apple "news" on the site, and relating things back to Apple when there really isn't much of a connection. And the fact that people are upset at a company that charges an exorbitant amount of money for mediocre parts and assume (not always correctly) that Apple users must not now very much about tech.

Hey, I used a Mac for awhile. I did get it for free though.

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I think the logo works. The concept of one font for a logo is not written in stone. In fact the idea of hidden meaning and interesting concepts sort of goes with google, the company we use to piecemeal our very lives together.

honestly $5000-20000 logos are a joke. most logos can be conceptualized in a day, the night before, and you would never lose any sleep. Sometimes simple is great, sometimes not.

I'm certain the gmail team isn't losing any sleep over this logo design.

Here, I'll make one in Illustrator and post it, variations...2-5 minutes...

http://www.supercala.net/mS/gd/logo/gmail.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.