Gmail Logo Was a Rush Job With Two Totally Different Fonts

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]GPU - We both agree, iPhone 4S over 2x faster. Even on phones released AFTER THE IPHONE 4S such as the Nexus or Droid Razr.Battery life - http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5198/42825.pnghttp://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5198/42827.pngANd seriously, saying 4S has issues with battery life, when comparing to Android? LOL.Camera - You say the top of the line 'Android' has an 8MP camera, guess what, it doesn't. The flagship is the Nexus Prime, which has 5 megapixel camera. Furthermore, many reviews have pointed to the quality of the iPhone 4S lens being far superior even at same megapixels. Either way, you have to decide exactly which phone you are comparing to the iPhone 4S. You can't create a pic-n-mix based on parts from all different phones.App Store - Apple has far more Apps, which are generally higher quality - and have greater security around them (even Charlie Miller can admit that). Only the other day there was an article on Toms about an app which is only on Apple for now. There's thousands of others, including loads of free ones like Sky Sports which simply don't exist on Android. Your personal preference can be for a lump of clay if you like - there are more apps on iOS.DPI - the point at which it becomes noticeable is below that of the iPhone 4S, you know, the whole 'retina' marketing campaign actually had a scientific basis. Are you talking about the Galaxy S2 HD which isn't even out yet? That could not be a worse argument.SGS2 has worse battery life, half as fast processor, lower resolution screen which is also bigger (making it visually even worse), can't wirelessly stream video to TV's, has a smaller app store, has no integrated iCloud, or Siri, has a lower quality camera (according to lots of reviews), has lower customer satisfaction ratings, and runs Android which always lags/freezes or experiences slow-down. And of course, Apple always offers support for their old devices for far longer than Android has.So much 'shredding' of the iPhone 4S... lolAnd by the way, even if the camera was as good, and the battery life was as good, and the app store was the same, and Android didn't leave devices unsupported after less than 2 years, and SG2 had Siri and iCloud etc etc etc... the 2x faster GPU alone would be reason enough to say that you can't compare prices since the iPhone 4S has better specifications.Oh and it's also not a brick. :)[/citation]

I always compare to SGS2, Galaxy Nexus is laughable at best. I tested the cameras on both the iPhone 4S and SGS2, I can't claim one being better than another, but SGS2 is definitely not worse. Amazing 1080p videos. THAT is a true flagship.

Android doesn't freeze/crash all the time. I had that a few times on my Galaxy Mini (got one for free, so no complaint here) when it runs out of RAM (256MB = joke); SGS2 never had that.

Again, I've found more apps for Android than for iOS for my preferences, so it's a personal choice here.

SGS2 HD is out in some countries, or at least some variation of it... whatever the hell they call it. Not sure about Galaxy Note, but again, I don't notice the difference. What I DO notice, though, is that Android's icons are worse resolution than iOS, which is stupid.

I don't give a crap about Siri or iCloud or wireless TV streaming... SGS2 has USB host and HDMI, which is exactly what I need; my screen and TV don't support wireless streaming, but they have HDMI, as do 90% of all other screens I see nowadays.

Don't mention GPU in Razr or Nexus... I don't consider these phones a match for SGS2 (shame - were released after it and still sport worse specs).

Brick? 4S is a TRUE brick, I've held it. Not that it's bad...

I like what Apple has done in terms of beautifying the menu... everything else is done on the Android in a way that I like more.

And if you want to involve IT celebrities' opinions here - Steve Wozniak said he wished that his iPhone would do things his Android can.

Also, last I checked, SGS2 is cheaper than the 4S. At least here (India) it definitely is.

P.S. WTF is Sky Sports? :)

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Yes, both SG2 and IPhone 4S can record 1080p video. Many reviews have stated that the camera in the iPhone 4S is better quality.

The SG2 STILL has a GPU which is less than half as fast, and as explained, that is reason alone why you can't compare prices.

Freezing and slowdowns is a 'recognised issue' with Android, to deny that is just denying reality.

The battery issue (which was software issue) in the iPhone 4S was fixed ages ago, and it has the best battery life now (as it did even before for the vast majority of people).

There are way more apps on iOS than Android. Which means for the majority of people, they find more of what they want on iOS. Sky Sports is a great example. It is a TV provider (bskyb) in many European countries who own the exclusive rights to the most profitable and most followed sports league, of any sport, anywhere in the world, with billions of followers worldwide - the English Premier League. The Sky Sports app is only available on iOS.

You may not give a crap about Siri or iCloud, but other people do, and they are more features which come with an iPhone which mean you can't call it overpriced in comparison to phones which don't have it. iPhone also allows you to plug in an HDMI lead directly, but has a built in wireless option. Again, a facility no Android phone has. It also has Bluetooth 4, for example, which the SG2 does not.

4S is a 'TRUE brick' - erm what? Have you even compared the volume of the iPhone 4S to the SG2? Hint - it's much, much smaller.

Steve Wozniak is friends with the Google CEO - and which phone is his primary phone? That's right, an iPhone 4S. He couldn't get Siri to work - well pretty much every less effective alternative which is on Android is also available on iOS anyway - and he's in the minority in not being able to get it to work. Similarly, he mentioned navigation - there are hundreds of navigation apps (free or paid) on iOS so that is a nothing point.

I agree that SGS2 is cheaper (Although some pro-android tard Willard would beg to differ on that one) - the point is that it's cheaper FOR A REASON.

It has a lower resolution screen, worse battery life, much much slower GPU, no Bluetooth 4, no wireless TV, access to a smaller app store, lower customer satisfaction ratings, runs an OS which actually gets support for at least 2 years, etc etc etc.

Pick any one of those reasons, and that's why you can't say the iPhone is overpriced. It's more expensive because it's simply the fastest and most capable phone on the market right now.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Of course I compared the volumes... but I meant form-factors. 4S is a brick. SGS2 is a slate.

You keep ignoring the fact that most people don't need Siri or wireless TV. Or a faster GPU, for that matter... what are you gonna do with it? All existing games can be ran just fine on the SGS2 (and all modern touchscreen games are crap anyway, no matter the OS). Therefore I'd much prefer a cheaper phone without the options that are useless to me... and its bigger screen is way more important for me than the resolution of the 4S.

I think that Samsung should just stuff all those things into SGS3 and make Apple fanboys STFU again... :D That was the case when 4S wasn't out and SGS2 was walking all over iPhone 4.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Of course I compared the volumes... but I meant form-factors. 4S is a brick. SGS2 is a slate.You keep ignoring the fact that most people don't need Siri or wireless TV. Or a faster GPU, for that matter... what are you gonna do with it? All existing games can be ran just fine on the SGS2 (and all modern touchscreen games are crap anyway, no matter the OS). Therefore I'd much prefer a cheaper phone without the options that are useless to me... and its bigger screen is way more important for me than the resolution of the 4S.I think that Samsung should just stuff all those things into SGS3 and make Apple fanboys STFU again... That was the case when 4S wasn't out and SGS2 was walking all over iPhone 4.[/citation]

So if someone created a phone the size of a pad of A4 paper, you would say it's less of a brick than the iPhone? Please. The iPhone is smaller, ultimately, and when people talk about 'brick' they are generally talking about overall size. The iPad is a slate too, but as a phone it would clearly be a brick.

You say I keep ignoring the 'fact' that 'most people' don't 'need' Siri or Wireless TV. This is wrong on so many levels:

1 - Who are you to describe it as a 'fast' what 'most people' need.
2 - Whether people 'need' it or not is completely irrelevant, nobody 'needs' a smartphone anyway. It's what people want that matters.
3 - It doesn't even matter if most people don't 'need' Siri or Wireless TV, or a faster GPU (which speeds up everything on the phone), the fact is the iPhone 4S offers it, and the SG2 does not (along with the massive rest of my list). Hence, the iPhone 4S can justify being more expensive than a Samsung SG2. Just like an Audi RS4 can justify being more expensive than an Audi A3. Some people may not want the extra features, performance, but the price premium is clearly justified.

You seem to miss the point of this conversation. The question is not a subjective, unprovable 'do you want feature X' debate. The question is whether iPhone 4S is overpriced or not. You're comparing it to the SG2 and saying 'yes' and I'm explaining why it can easily justify being more expensive. Whether more people want it or not, is not relevant at all. Incidentally though, whatever combination of factors the iPhone 4S has that the SG2 doesn't, more people DO want those features as evidenced by its massively superior sales.

The 'bigger screen' you refer to is a cheaper, lower quality (lower resolution) screen, so is actually an argument against your point. And of course, the downsize is that people don't want to carry around a 'slate' in their pocket - they just want a phone.

I too want Samsung to make a better phone than the iPhone 4S. I don't care which brand of phone I own, and I will soon be needing another phone. I am completely impartial, I don't care which brand, Apple, Samsung, iOS, Android produces a better phone. I just recognise that right now the iPhone 4S is the best phone, on almost every level. See, the difference is, I don't care which manufacturer produces a better phone (unbiased) but you DO care, you want it to not be apple. And that is what makes YOU the fanboy :)

And by the way, the SG2 came out in May 2011, the iPhone 4 came out in June 2010 (a year earlier) - and it continues to outsell the SG2. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.