Good cheap PC USB headset for game chat? Software?

poguesquadron

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Hey guys. So, what I'd like to do is have a good USB headset for my PC, but what I'd like to do is just have voice come out of the headset. Is there a USB headset that has system wide software that can do this? Maybe software that lets me just, say, mute everything except for Steam? Like I said, all I want coming out of the headphones is the voices.

From what I understand, programs like Skype and Ventrillo do this with no problem. There has to be something like this across all of Windows, right? Is it possible

{{Also, I'm on my first custom build. I do not have a dedicated sound card. What has happened is that I got a cheap headset, but didn't realize that all of the sound would be coming through the headphones. I've taken the headset back and am seeing if I can go a different route that can let me isolate or mute certain programs so that my headphones just pick up voice chat. Any help would be REALLY appreciated.}}

I_see_ID10Ts

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
"Maybe software that lets me just, say, mute everything except for Steam? Like I said, all I want coming out of the headphones is the voices."

I believe you can do this using windows, just right click on the speaker icon > open volume mixer > mute/alter volume of what you want.

As for setting individual applications to send sound to different sources, I'm not 100% sure but I think you can do this in windows too.
I'll look into it and try to get back to you on it.
(btw I am assuming you are using windows 7, might be different for other versions of windows)