good laptop brands

daddywoofdawg

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
It's been a couple of years since I have replaced my laptop,Who is making a good solid laptop these days?I read amazon reviews and other ones and seems some brands are getting really cheap on the manufacturing process.flimsy DVD drives,keyboard and touch pads that fall apart etc.I would go with another acer"the laptop was in the car in a head-on collision and it's bent but still works!
I know brands are subjective but cheap flimsy plastic is just that.
Also is 5400 RPM Hard Drive pretty much what I'm going to find stock in a laptop?

vishnu39

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Almost all the different countries has different review about brands, in US Dell has a good review in India they have high reputation but still after service is very bad ,which country are you from ,this will provide for others from your country to give suggestion about brands
So which country are you from ?

Nada190

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
I personally prefer, in order of most to least:

Asus, Sony, Samsung, Dell, Lenovo, HP.

Or maybe you could buy a Apple for $2,000 that sounds like an fantastic deal to me. Money well spent! But then we can't be friends anymore...

I personally use a Sony VAIO and I love it but they're not good for gaming because the one I have is on the thin side which means a puny little CPU fan, which means it heats up fast. And yes, you are pretty much stuck with 5400 RPM drives unless you upgrade to an SSD. My laptop has a WD Black 5400 and its super slow compared to a 7200 Hitachi drive from 2006.

Also what type of laptop do you want? General, gaming or a compromise? In my opinion, most of Sony's VAIO are compromises, you either get a light portable laptop with relatively good gaming performance or a big heavy one with great gaming performance.

Acer laptops are generally regarded as "cheap" laptops and not in a good away. The exceptions are likely the Timeline X and Travelmate series.

I generally like Lenovo laptops... or at least their ThinkPad T series which are engineered to withstand a direct 30MPH or 35MPH impact and survive long enough to turn on so that you can retrieve the data off the hard drive. I am thinking about buying the 15.6" ThinkPad T540p but with the configuration I was putting together it is almost $1,500 (no SSD)... YIKES!!! Perhaps next year when the price of a just leased popular series comes down a little bit. $1,100 - $1,200 would be more bearable.

I have an IBM 14" ThinkPad T41 from 2003 that more or less works still works except the CMOS battery is drained (which causes the laptop to take about 5 minutes to boot cold) and a basically dead original battery. Believe it or not laptops were really expensive back then. That one cost me around $2,600 on my meager salary; adjusted for inflation, that would easily be over $3,000 today. I believe IBM sold their desktop/laptop business to Lenovo back in 2005 / 2006.

My current laptop is a Lenovo IdeaPad Y470. Good enough for games, but the low 1366x768 resolution is pretty bad for productivity purposes in my opinion.

In the end I suppose it depends on what type of laptop you are looking for. Business, gaming, general use...

daddywoofdawg

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
online type games,mw,diablo,gaming but no real hard core,basic first person shooters med res.,med graphics card.$600 max i know tough sell but what I can get.I have a ps3 and a xbox for the hardcore gaming.
Ya I used to work on the ibm/lenovos hated that little eraser type thing on the touch pad

vishnu39

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/eurocom-shark-2-0-15-6-gaming-laptop-i5-4200m-cpu-gtx-765m-gpu-8gb-ddr3-matte-1080p-screen-for-680/

spend 80$ more its worth more than that