Good laptops for $600?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Antivirus

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Hello,
I am looking for a good laptop in the $600 and below range. I've been looking at the HP Pavilion dv6zqe, but I didn't know if AMD processors were good. Can you recommend some good laptops?

Solution
The A6-3400M APU will hit 2.3Ghz on only a few cores (turbo mode) and a light load.
Under a normal multi-threaded, moderately heavy work load it's going to run 4 cores at 1.4Ghz.
i3-2410 CPU will run at 2.1Ghz all the time except when it slows to to save power under a light load.

A i3 CPU @ 2.1Ghz core will do a LOT more IPS (instructions per second) than a APU core @ 2.3Ghz. i3 CPU with 2 cores will do more IPS than A6 with four APUs, which is why it's benchmark scores are higher.

ravi12

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011

I use Samsung Q430 laptop computers and is my favorite brand, because samsung is the cheapest price. $549.99

The Product Technical Details:
1.Intel Core i5 460M, 4 GB of Memory, 500 GB Hard Drive
2.Stylish Good Looks - The Q430 sports a durable and stylish aluminum display enclosure and keyboard deck with island style keyboard
3.Superior LED Image Quality - The 14" LED-backlit display with edge-to-edge glass delivers bright, colorful HD images for a rich viewing experience. And the 16:9 aspect ratio is ideal for watching your favorite widescreen DVD movies
4.Outstanding Graphics - The Q430’s NVIDIA Optimus technology intelligently optimizes your notebook PC, providing the outstanding graphics performance you need, when you need it, all while extending battery life
5.Up and Running in 3 Seconds - Samsung’s innovative Fast Start feature gets you working in just three seconds instead of having to wait for your PC to boot up. It can burn DVDs and CDs.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004

Last month i purchased an i3 laptop with 6 gigs ram for $450 on sale. I swapped out the HDD for a cheap SSD for another $120 the day I bought it. The HDD which came in the laptop I use as external storage in a little case I purchased for $30. This laptop is crazy fast; I won’t be playing games on it (built in graphics) but for a mobile movie box and email/internet/word/excel unit, its more than needed. Honeslty the SSD made this cheap laptop amazing.

Total price for the laptop, SSD and external case for the replaced internal HDD was under $600.

TRENDING THREADS