Good ways to learn code?

unplanned bacon

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
I tried Codeacademy and came away came away rather confused (instructions were unclear), but more of it made sense than didn't (however I ran into some bugs on the site where my code would give the result it wanted with no errors, but it would reject it and tell me to try again). I could read books, but I've learnt very little from those

josephlu

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
Codeacademy is a bit confusing, I'll admit, but I've used it for one or two languages. A website that provides much clearer explanations would be KhanAcademy, as they have videos and walk you through things step by step, giving you examples.

I haven't used any other websites to learn code, but I've heard that Coursera is also a reliable source.

*Coursera is usable only if you are in college
**All links go to the computer programming section of the website

Hopefully this helped! Good luck learning code!

yeticorn

Estimable
Jul 21, 2015
The best way to learn is always hands on, as with most things. Create a project for yourself and begin figuring out how you'd go about implementing it. Create a website, a simple recipe program that hooks into a database, a small side scroller game with sprites that are all over the internet, whatever you want to do. The reason people get into programming is because they like being creative and problem solving, so what do you want to create is the real question.

unplanned bacon

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

I can't create the code, only manipulate it (i.e. give me a finished app and it's code I can go in and break it and then repair it again if I haven't broken it too badly and then add additional stuff to it). Creating from scratch I can't do. Tried creating websites as a child, I couldn't do it.

Code Academy, my brain hit the wall and then I got bored and started spamming the Run button until it would give me the code.

Ask me to draw or write, it's a different story. Can easily go for hours from nothing, or a small idea/reference image

unplanned bacon

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

I'd like to be able to create it from scratch, but what happens is, the resource, e.g. Code Academy tells me stuff that initially I understand, but ultimately don't know why I should use it or even where and then later down the road it provides inaccurate/unclear instructions/error feedback which just leaves me lost (e.g. why does what I typed have to have a capital letter even though I typed the right thing, or why my code doesn't run (or runs, but the site doesn't allow you to continue) even though it's exactly the same as the example). In the end I think it mentally registers as useless piece of information I'm never going to use. If it told me what the end game is (or better yet, let me pick the end game), why we're using a piece of code and what it does then that would be more useful to me.

I can do basic animation. I used to do basic in flash back in school. A friend and I self-taught ourselves. Recently jumped into Blender to learn basic animation there (need to pick up on this again). I don't yet know 3D modelling or rigging on account of my previous experience is basic 2D animation (a game of pong or stick men doing stuff) , but I can add them to my to do list. I can already write and I can already draw (need to translate my drawing skill to a graphics tablet though)

josephlu

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016

Which is why you should use Khanacademy, after you take the introductory course, you can take the application/advanced courses where they will teach you to apply what you learned to webpages, simulations, and 3d animation and gaming.

unplanned bacon

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

Stopped with Code Academy and went to Khan Academy. Code Academy was horribly buggy (code wouldn't even save) and the instructions stupidly unclear. It's like those pictures where they make fun of maths saying Steve has two apples, he gives one to his friend. Calculate the mass of the sun

josephlu

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016

Wait, code academy or Khan Academy?

unplanned bacon

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

Code Academy was the one with unclear instructions