Question Google Assistant Makes Calls, then doesn't, than does, etc., etc

Vivvvv

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019
I use Google Assistant to make calls on my android phone when both the internet and mobile data are turned off. This works perfectly most of the time, but, often, Google responds that it can't make a call because mobile data is off. Several attempts elicit the same response then, suddenly, it will work as before, despite the fact that I have made no changes at all.
I have had two phones (an LG and a Motorolla) where this has happened.
My apps are all up to date, and, considering that Google sometimes makes calls and sometimes doesn't, I don't believe my settings can be at fault.
If anyone knows what's going on here, I'd be very pleased to know.

Have you checked your offline speech recognition settings? And did you download and install the offline speech recognition? Updates to the app on the phone (the google apps) can alter settings which can make things not work as they did.

Try going into into "Google Assistant" and then into its "Settings". Next go to "Other Voice Settings" and then to "Offline speech recognition".

I use Google Assistant to make calls on my android phone when both the internet and mobile data are turned off. This works perfectly most of the time, but, often, Google responds that it can't make a call because mobile data is off. Several attempts elicit the same response then, suddenly, it will work as before, despite the fact that I have made no changes at all.
I have had two phones (an LG and a Motorolla) where this has happened.
My apps are all up to date, and, considering that Google sometimes makes calls and sometimes doesn't, I don't believe my settings can be at fault.
If anyone knows what's going on here, I'd be very pleased to know.

You may simply be out of range of a cell signal to make a call, if you turn off mobile data it can't use IP calling so fails. You also need to remember that the google assistant is an online thing that talks to cloud info about your account, it has to look up things at times. My mother shuts off data all the time then wonders why her phone does not do what she wants at times when my dad and myself don't have the same issues on the same exact service.

Have you checked with Google support to see what is happening?

Vivvvv

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019
Yes, offline speech recognition installed and updates automatically, and settings are correct.
There must be something more obscure. As I said, the offline calling will work fine for weeks, both when I'm driving and when I'm not. Then, sporadically, it will say it needs to have mobile data on to work. Then after behaving like that a few times, it will work again. Today, I tried calling several times as I was driving. It said it couldn't make the calls because the mobile data was off. I pulled into a parking lot and tried again, and it worked. This is typical.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Vivvvv

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019
You may simply be out of range of a cell signal to make a call, if you turn off mobile data it can't use IP calling so fails. You also need to remember that the google assistant is an online thing that talks to cloud info about your account, it has to look up things at times. My mother shuts off data all the time then wonders why her phone does not do what she wants at times when my dad and myself don't have the same issues on the same exact service.

Have you checked with Google support to see what is happening?
Thank you. I didn't think of that, although it's hard to accept that I'd be out of range in Toronto.

Vivvvv

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019
Sorry, technology and I aren't getting on well today, and I replied before I'd finished my message. Thanks for the suggestion to call Google support. I'll do that.