Google, Bing to Include Your Tweets in Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I´m ok with it as long as we have the option to exclude it from searches. I believe that foruns bolgs and now "twats" should be excluded from searching by allowing the use of options boxes. How many times do people loose searching information and getting blogs and forums, remember that a lot of people don´t know how to use simple commands in google like + - "" and others.

G

"Once Google and Bing don't shove the tweets down people's throats, this could work."

The internet marketers dreams have finally come true.Get ready for really useless results

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]godnodog[/nom]I´m ok with it as long as we have the option to exclude it from searches. I believe that foruns bolgs and now "twats" should be excluded from searching by allowing the use of options boxes. How many times do people loose searching information and getting blogs and forums, remember that a lot of people don´t know how to use simple commands in google like + - "" and others.[/citation]

Referring to people who use twitter as twats is getting old. I mean, I'm not saying they're not, I'm just saying the joke is exhausted. Branch out! :)

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Why on earth would I want to search for Tweets? When I search on google I'm looking for information and I'm really going to hate sifting through nonsense in order to find information to source in my papers. They better make this optional or a separate page.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
We can see some advantages. For example, Google's Marissa Meyer points out that next time you're looking for snow conditions at your favorite ski resort, you'll find tweets from other users who are already there and able to provide the most "accurate and up to date information."
You think people's tweets are accurate and up to date? So many problems with that concept like first of all, people don't tweet about useful things like weather conditions. A more common tweet from a ski resort would be "Johnny just spilled the hot coca all over my brand new ski jacket!" or "OMG first time in snow, I never knew it was WHITE"

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
WTF would I want twitter updates in my searches? Mindless ramblings of idiots and what they are doing are not what I want to find out when I go search for something!

I still don't know to this day, why people actually use twitter. Must have brains the size of a bird.

G

Yeah this sounds like a terrible idea. I could see a 3rd column bar that displays trending topics based on twitter and google trends and related to the search (if applicable); but to include in the serps? FAIL.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
The key here is "real time search". Yes, there should be an option to turn it off but having *current* (old tweets are already included in Google's web crawler search results) could be useful for searches regarding current news, for example.
There have been several cases recently where news has been broken first on Twitter - for example to do with a certain oil company's press-embargo just a week or so ago. For things like this Twitter definitely does have its benefits, it is not entirely made up of the "mindless ramblings of idiots" or "twats".

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Yeah, way to go. More useless results, making search engines less functional! ... until a new engine come up and declares: "Just the info you need" or something like that.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
with google add you already have chance to get malaware....

twitter would get it worse, cant imagine with useless myspace and facebook :\

I am outrage at the fact that you can get malaware for search because they pay google to be on top finds....

I tried Bing and its even worse (for my search at least)

I guess well go back to alta-vista and webcrawler :p

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
They could show just one tweeter result, according to respective importance meter, and people could search 'anything site:anywhere.com' for more tweets. But this tweeter idea could lead to more drastic changes, like 'don't show me results from this site, ever, on this computer (until cookies cleared) and on my account'. Maybe this kind of personalized search would do better.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
The kind of exclusion I would gladly do sitewise is search from old searches of some people over some search engine that happened to be crawled by bots at the time. Come on, I'm searching you, why would you show me searches of someone else somewhere else that might even be based on your own older searches. Then people might want more and more to be signed in while searching google/bing.

Status
Not open for further replies.