google chrome or firefox

Gabe_G

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
Hey guys I am wondering do you guys think I should use google chrome or firefox? I look forward to hearing from you guys thanks.

Solution
Everyone at work uses Chrome. They're all nutters.

Firefox runs all plugins in a separate process. If a plugin crashes it shouldn't crash the browser. That is not the case with addons though. They're all in-process. Firefox around 53 or so started splitting the content rendering into a separate process, and later releases will split...
Firefox beats Chrome for sure - - no contest.

It manages memory better than Chrome (and uses less of it with multiple tabs).
Less prone to crashing while using plugins.
More customisable.

(All the above is based on years of me using and comparing both, not just "what I read somewhere").

That's actually the reason I switched from Firefox to Chrome. If a plugin crashed in Firefox, it froze every Firefox tab I had open. I had to kill the entire program (losing all my tabs). Chrome forked a new instance of itself for every tab (which is why it eats so much more memory). So if a plugin crashed, it only froze the one tab. (Dunno if Firefox has addressed this in recent years.)

However, Chrome has a long-standing bug where it doesn't release all the memory from closed tabs. So its memory footprint will slowly grow over time. I use Gmail in Chrome on a virtual machine, and that's pretty much the only thing that Chrome browser does. When I first start it, it only takes about 300 MB. But if I check its memory use after about a month, it's up around 2 GB with multiple instances in the process list that seem to be leftover remnants from closed tabs. It's pretty simple to exit and restart Chrome to free up that memory though.

Gabe_G

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
Hey Phillip Are you stiill using firefox today ir have you switched to google chrome? I look forward to hearing from you thanks.

randomizer

Distinguished
Everyone at work uses Chrome. They're all nutters.

Firefox runs all plugins in a separate process. If a plugin crashes it shouldn't crash the browser. That is not the case with addons though. They're all in-process. Firefox around 53 or so started splitting the content rendering into a separate process, and later releases will split it into several processes (already possible with Nightly and I think Aurora channels). Chrome has a massive head start in this area because it was designed that way from the beginning. Firefox is dragging around a codebase that is six years older and needs to be bent into new shapes. It is also being very slowly replaced piece by piece.

Firefox is exactly the same. Closing and reopening the browser is the only solution.

Solution
Let me add my $.02 there: I use different browsers for different things.
- use least favorite browser for banking / social security / these-really-important-web-sites
- use another browser for your every-day drive
- be really careful when visiting "shady" sites (you know what I mean)