Google Chrome Suddenly Extremly Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2018
My Google Chrome has suddenly become extremely slow, I mean slow to the point of being unusable. I have tried everything I can think of: uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome, disabled hardware acceleration, tried incognito mode, created a new user profile and nothing works. I am using an HP Stream 14 laptop with Windows 10 version 1607 4GB ram 32 GB SSD and Intel Celeron N3060 CPU (piece of garbage, I know). Microsoft Edge still runs at full speed, but I hate Edge and I rely on Chrome. The SSD in my laptop is too small to upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10. Chrome was working before on this version of Windows 10. I am at my wit's end with this problem and would really appreciate any help.

Solution
Stop blaming the computer, it is google.
Recent google updates to chrome basically made it slow and according to google they know about this but these measures were implemented as a security feature.

woodmass14

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
How much blank space do you have left on your ssd? Sounds an awful like a full hdd/ssd. Need more ssd/hdd space.

To rule out a full ssd i'd recommend installing chrome to a usb flash drive (link below) to see if it improves. 2-4gb should be enough to test.

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable

Once installed on flash drive, open flash drive folder and open up chrome. If it performs well then your system is full up, if not then we will diagnose that next.

mgallo848

Great
Apr 4, 2018

That is your problem.

Edge doesn't use extensions so it uses less memory. Google chrome can easily use (for example) more than 4GB of memory alone with 4-5 tabs open.

You really should upgrade your laptop by adding another 4GB or ram. It will make a huge difference. 4GB nowadays is barely enough to run Windows and a few background items.

Aug 20, 2018

I Installed Chrome on an 8 GB USB flash drive and it's still slower than molasses. I have 1.98 GB free on my Windows partition.

I have tried to use the Windows Media Creation Tool on two different PCs to do a clean install of the newest version of Windows and both times it quit with an error message when creating the installation media.

Aug 20, 2018

Chrome ran fine for well over a year on this laptop and I didn't make any major software changes; it just literally became extremely slow overnight. There is no way I can upgrade my laptop; it is completely sealed with no way to open it nondestructively and I suspect the memory chips and SSD and soldered on to the motherboard (it's a $300 laptop).

Aug 20, 2018

No.

woodmass14

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015

Can you open up your C folder to see if there is a folder named "Windows.old" if so, delete it. Can't help but think this is a storage issue. Also, try using the windows 10 "disk cleanup" utility and delete all data that's not wanted.

Aug 20, 2018

There is no "Windows.old" folder. I ran both disk cleanup and CCleaner and even uninstalled MS Office and I think I've freed up as much space as I can without deleting critical Windows components. I also tried to run Chrome portable off a USB flash drive and it's still slower than molasses in January.

Sep 28, 2018
Stop blaming the computer, it is google.
Recent google updates to chrome basically made it slow and according to google they know about this but these measures were implemented as a security feature.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.