Google Chromecast vs. Roku Streaming Stick: Which Device Wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman53us

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014
"Furthermore, the Roku Streaming Stick doesn't require that your mobile device be out of action whenever you are watching or listening."have you ever cast something to chrome cast? i loaded up netflix on my phone, found what to watch, and then cast it to my TV. I then closed netflix on my phone, killed it from the task manager, and started using my phone for something else....

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Coming from someone with two Chromecasts, I have to wonder if the author has ever used one. The single greatest functionality of the Chromecast is the ability to cast tabs, which is a full-featured screen share with a Chrome browser tab. How this is classified as "limited" escapes me. On top of this, as the comment above addresses, streaming to Chromecast does nothing to prevent your device from performing other tasks. It requires a single tab to be open, meanwhile you can browse freely on others. Or to have an app running in the background. I've never used the Roku device but the summary of Chromecast in this article is pretty inaccurate.

Mar 7, 2014
Another difference is that Roku works almost everywhere in the world, including Canada, Japan, and the UK.But Chromecast works only in the good old USA. I guess Google's brass (like many other Americans) forgot there are people living outside of the USA, and they have computers, and they even have flush toilets!

zman53us

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014
Another difference is that Roku works almost everywhere in the world, including Canada, Japan, and the UK.But Chromecast works only in the good old USA. I guess Google's brass (like many other Americans) forgot there are people living outside of the USA, and they have computers, and they even have flush toilets!
See now that is a good point for the roku. I, like the other commenter, have never used a roku. I was merely trying to address something that was not factual in regards to the chromecast. The roku stick may be better than a chrome cast, let it be for the correct reasons though.

XGrabMyY

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Roku streaming stick is a no brainer. Chromecast is more of a headache than anything particularly useful at this point of its life.

XGrabMyY

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Roku streaming stick is a no brainer. Chromecast is more of a headache than anything particularly useful at this point of its life.

Quickcomment45682

Estimable
Mar 8, 2014
Chromecast works fine outside the US it just isn't on sale yet. I use mine almost everyday in the Czech Republic. Of course for some aspects like Netflix you would need to use a VPN.

kingofhearts84

Estimable
Mar 8, 2014
Like every author before him, this author is stupid, and it's a limited thinker. Again, rating the product based purely on content, which if you understood the Chromecast at all, you'd know it's up to the content provider not Google. My 5 and 2 year olds can use the Chromecast. They would never be able to figure out a Roku. Enough said. Crystal adams ya say? Kids are smarter than this stupid author.

kingofhearts84

Estimable
Mar 8, 2014
Like every author before him, this author is stupid, and it's a limited thinker. Again, rating the product based purely on content, which if you understood the Chromecast at all, you'd know it's up to the content provider not Google. My 5 and 2 year olds can use the Chromecast. They would never be able to figure out a Roku. Enough said. Kids are smarter than this stupid author.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
If you have used a Roku at all, you know it is far better than Chromecast, and yes I have both and use both. The Roku uses a remote control. If your kids can change channels on the tv, they can use the Roku. Calling the author stupid, if you have not used a Roku yourself, is well; you figure it out! I bought the Chromecast for youtube casting. It works great for that, and also for Netflix. I was using a Bluray player but the Chromecast loads much faster and takes up no space. Google will not let just anyone write programs for the Chromecast and that is why there are so few apps for it. The content providers would love to write for Chromecast! The problem is Google. Don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself. Getting on here with an anonymous comment calling anyone stupid is; well dumb. I took a look at the "14" official apps for Chromecast recently, and I am sure there was one available for viewing photos. Not sure why you would need to cast music. If I had the choice to make today, I would certainly get the Roku stick even though it costs nearly twice as much. Though it's officially listed at $35.00, I have often seen the Chromecast for $25 on sale. I paid $27 for mine on sale. If you don't need all the features you get with the Roku, just wait for the Chromecast to go on sale again. If what the Chromecast does is all you need, you will be happy with your purchase and save $25.00.

Gkap27

Estimable
Mar 9, 2014
I don't know, I think there are more options available than just these two. Sure, these are the most popular and best funded, but I would have liked to see a comparison to some of the generic Android sticks. I found an article that highlights some of the details on the MK808B, one of the most popular android sticks.http://totalgeek.co/technologyarticles/97-the-mk808b-a-google-chromecast-and-raspberry-pi-widow-makerIt looks promising

Gkap27

Estimable
Mar 9, 2014
I don't know, I think there are more options available than just these two. Sure, these are the most popular and best funded, but I would have liked to see a comparison to some of the generic Android sticks. I found an article that highlights some of the details on the MK808B, one of the most popular android sticks.http://totalgeek.co/technologyarticles/97-the-mk808b-a-google-chromecast-and-raspberry-pi-widow-makerIt looks promising

Gkap27

Estimable
Mar 9, 2014

MichelinF

Estimable
Mar 11, 2014
To the comment: "The biggest drawback of Roku is the unavailability of YouTube and Spotify."Actually the Roku 3 has YouTube now, as well as this new HDMI Streaming Stick. YT is coming to other Roku player models soon. Roku also has Spotify, among many other music apps.

Jason Cardiff

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
To the comment: "The biggest drawback of Roku is the unavailability of YouTube and Spotify."Actually the Roku 3 has YouTube now, as well as this new HDMI Streaming Stick. YT is coming to other Roku player models soon. Roku also has Spotify, among many other music apps.
Wrong. You might be referring to the original streaming stick, but not this iteration.
The single greatest functionality of the Chromecast is the ability to cast tabs, which is a full-featured screen share with a Chrome browser tab. How this is classified as "limited" escapes me.
Really? How's that casting tabs from the mobile Chrome browser working out for you? Newsflash: You can't do it (yet, anyway).
On top of this, as the comment above addresses, streaming to Chromecast does nothing to prevent your device from performing other tasks. It requires a single tab to be open, meanwhile you can browse freely on others. Or to have an app running in the background.
What single tab needs to be open? Can't cast from the mobile browser, as said above. And as another poster pointed out, if you're casting from Netflix or Youtube, you can close those apps on your phone after starting the casting from them. You simply lose the ability to control the playback from your phone, that's all.The Roku stick has incorporated DIAL (Discover and Launch) technology into the stick, (like the Chromecast uses) so more and more apps will have "Watch on Roku" icons on them similar to Chromecast.

oatmeal25

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Neither device supports DLNA? I believe the Chromecast can using a third-party app (Avia Media Player) but you really should have a remote for that feature.How are these devices for people outside the USA?Both devices are not very good if you live outside the USA.

whippetgirl

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
Chromecast has issues with it's audio. You will randomly get video with no sound. Have tried every "fix" found on internet and still have this issue. I love my Roku. Never any issues with it working.

MichaelStrauss

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
Right off the bat, you need to add Plex to Chromecast. Definitely supported although it might still be limited to Plex Pass purchasers but I know that it was supposed to be released to all Plex users eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.