Google Chromecast vs. Roku Streaming Stick: Which Device Wins?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TDMS

Estimable
Apr 9, 2014
For me, what it comes down to might be the roku remote control. My kids don't have smart phones (or tablets or laptops... you get my drift), so would they need my cell phone for chromecast? I don't think I would want them borrowing my phone every time they wanted to switch shows on Netflix.

Thanks for your help!

RobExtra

Estimable
Apr 30, 2014
Let's not forget that Roku has a PLEX client, so you can use it to browse through and watch movies, photos or listen to music from your large collection sitting on your PLEX media server.

Robert Barnes

Estimable
Jun 6, 2014
Without a doubt the Roku is better. But it was Google's of Chromecast that forced Roku to release a cheaper device. Its Googles business model to make it affordable for people to use the internet. Google doesn't make money if you're watching your TV but if you're watching YouTube they really don't care what device you use.

Megaben74

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
Can anyone tell me can the Chromecast be connected to a portable wifi hotspot from the same phone the app is running out of?

Status
Not open for further replies.