Google Confirms No Ice Cream Sandwich for Nexus One

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]darknate[/nom]wirless tv link...i think on my phone its called dlna. that was a standard before apple even thought of using anything like it since i had it on other hardware before i even got this phone. also a sgs phone could get ics since the nexus s is the exact same hardware. saying that, there are better phones than the nexus s which means there are better phones than the iphone4 (almost same hardware; less ram and lower powered gpu). that also means that the iphone 4 was behind from the start.higher resolution does not make a better display. amoled has proven to be better from color display to being seen in sunlight. numbers only mean everything on paper. all the resolution in the world doesnt mean anything if the screen is tiny as hell and washes out in sunlght.as for unique features, i think being the first phone with usb on-the-go, mhl and wifi direct beats anything apple has to offer.with samsung being the first company to offer a phone with nfc and the gs2 being the 2nd phone with it ups the ante.as for anyone saying that people with android have to mod our phone to make it better have it wrong. this is the benefit of an open operating system. i can do more with my phone since i dont have it locked down.[/citation]

I have never heard of dlna, but I do know that the Samsung Galaxy S2 and the Nexus Prime don't have wireless TV link. Nobody said anything about 'who thought of it first' - that's an irrelevant question that always gets asked of Apple, like they always have to be the very first wheras noone else does. The reality is that nothing whatsoever in the Samsung Galaxy 2 is original or innovative at all, so it's not really worth discussing.

Of course there are better phones than the iPhone 4 - but not when it came out. Only in the 18 months AFTER it was released were arguably more powerful (but not necessarily better) phones released.

Higher resolution does make a better display, to some people. Some people want a smaller phone footprint in their pocket and thus the best way to improve the screen is to increase the resolution. A higher resolution means a LOT up to the level that the human eye can detect pixels (which Apple claims is the 'Retina' point) - it means that everything is crystal clear wheras there will be visible pixels on lower PPI devices. Regarding direct sunlight, the Samsung Galaxy S2 is the one which appears washed out in sunlight:

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4686/41021.png
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/samsung-galaxy-s-2-international-review-the-best-redefined/7

Quote:

'Outdoors SAMOLED+ is about the same as the previous generation. It isn’t very easy to see the display contents outside in direct sunlight,'

In fact, it's so badly designed, the brightness has to be limited to prevent overheating!!

I can't think of a single time I'd ever want to walk around with my phone plugging a USB into it. If I ever needed to use out-dated storage technology like USB I'd just plug it into my PC and drag/drop (since all my files are auto synced anyway - and there's always a pc around). If I was desperate, you can get USB hubs for iPhones. I genuinely wouldn't ever need that though in todays advanced world.

Regarding mhl - you can buy an HDMI lead for iPhones, and you can also go wireless (which as we've said you can't on Android devices). Regarding Wifi-direct, I don't see the problem of just connecting to the home network and transferring files over that, just as fast. And of course the iPhone has better Wifi performance than the Samsung to start with. Regarding NFC - sorry but I just don't see any practical use in that whatsoever. I have certainly never needed anything like that. (For anyone who doesn't know what NFC is, it lets two devices which are right next to each other transfer data).

Now lets mention all the features unique to Apple (which actually serve a purpose):

iCloud (fully integrated sync of Contacts, IM's, documents, 5gb free)
Siri (nothing as good on Android)
More Apps (eg Sky Sports which you can't get on Android)
Fastest CPU/GPU
Higher Customer Satisfaction
Better Security
Better legacy device upgrade support
Better Wifi performance
Better battery life
Higher PPI
Better Screen Brightness
Wireless Display Sync

As for:

"i can do more with my phone since i dont have it locked down."

I very much doubt that there is anything which is actually useful that you can do which I can't do on an iPhone. When you root your Android you also void your warranty, not too clever. The operating system is also not 'open' at all - Google never even released the code for Android 3. You can unlock iOS devices just as readily if you wanted, the only difference is you don't have to do that to get the features you want on iOS.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]darknate[/nom] there are better phones than the nexus s which means there are better phones than the iphone4 (almost same hardware; less ram and lower powered gpu). that also means that the iphone 4 was behind from the start.[/citation]

The Nexus S was released December 16th, 2010
The iPhone 4 was released June 24th, 2010

What was that about 'from the start'? The Nexus S didn't even exist.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]This isn't remotely comparable to Siri.[/citation]
Very true, Google speak isn't like Siri. Though I've used Siri and wasn't all that impressed by it. I know it's still in beta, but I could care less if my phone talks back to me. It's the voice input that is more important to me personally. If I'm driving and want to send a text, I can do the voice-to-text input with my Android phone without any problems. But that's just me.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]umm yes it is. t it just doesn't talk back to youFAIL again apple sheep[/citation]

If you don't need the additional features of Siri, which are not just talking back, but understanding intention, which no other Voice Control feature on Android does, fine. If you don't need a phone fine.

But that doesn't have anything to do with which one is better. And some people prefer voice control which is more functional, that you don't have to learn the commands for and understands what you mean.

Just because you don't, doesn't mean the fact it's better is irrelevant. It just means the fact it's better is irrelevant to you.

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Didn't Google say that each android phone can run the latest version of android 2 years after it's been released? Sure the Nexus One is showing it's age. But they're going against their doctrine.

Though if a phone can't outright support it officially and run well then it shouldn't be for your average everyday people. The latest official rom for my Motorola Cliq is android 2.1, I got 2.3.4 running on it and it sure was buggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.