Google Could Pay $22.5 Million for Safari Violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

v3rlon

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
No, it is not Apple's fault that Google deliberately wrote a piece of software to circumvent the privacy settings of it's browser. That is like saying it is your fault someone smashed the window in your car and stole your radio. Sure it is POSSIBLE to smash a window, but it is there for another purpose and it really does need to be there. In this case, there was a warning not to smash the window because it is against the law written on the glass, and Google still smashed it. And yeah, take them to the cleaners for doing it. You do not 'accidnetally' write a virus cookie to spy on people.

v3rlon

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
Also, even in this article note that Google has been known to get liberal with personal data elsewhere. Note the part where Google claimed it was abiding by Apple Safari's privacy policy/settings when it was not because it wrote software to get around the privacy settings (and at the same time lying to it's users about what they were signing up for in the consent for Google Buzz). You can hate Apple products, pricing and everything, about them, but Google was in the wrong here, and they have history of being in the wrong with this.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
It's in safari's privacy settings, Apple should had secured it in the first place. So, it's a security flaw.

But Google should have reported it and not exploited it.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
I'm moving away anything google. dropped my iGoogle home page and the last thing to drop is Gmail as soon as I find a good replacement for it.
Google is run by a bunch of leftists in bed with the Obama regime and they are now crusading for gay rights or what ever they want to call it. I call it sick.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]It's in safari's privacy settings, Apple should had secured it in the first place. So, it's a security flaw.But Google should have reported it and not exploited it.[/citation]

They had to write code to get around the security settings. That isn't an accident. They also did the same thing to IE users. 22.5 million is cheap. Lets see what the EU does.

And yes, it is a big deal.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]dthx[/nom]So Google will now have to pay for using the security flaws built in Apple applications?[/citation]

[citation][nom]ChromeUser[/nom]Isn't that more of Apple's fault?[/citation]

[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]It's in safari's privacy settings, Apple should had secured it in the first place. So, it's a security flaw.But Google should have reported it and not exploited it.[/citation]

Amazing what a Google loyalist mind does to you. If you purposely wrote code whose only purpose was to breach Safari's security settings then it is no longer Apple's fault.

Good for FTC in actively hunting down these instances of violations. Google has to be watched.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]That's one big fine for personalized advertisements.[/citation]

Not if you sold twice as much (or more0 in advertising that way...
Corporations, even the not evil ones, do not think in right or wrong, they think in ROI terms.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]I'm moving away anything google. dropped my iGoogle home page and the last thing to drop is Gmail as soon as I find a good replacement for it.Google is run by a bunch of leftists in bed with the Obama regime and they are now crusading for gay rights or what ever they want to call it. I call it sick.[/citation]

wow, i really thought that was a troll... will one day go by where any faith i have left in humanity doesn't get taken away.

Status
Not open for further replies.