Google Drive Will Offer 5 GB of Online Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Wouldn't it be easier if Gmail, Docs, and Drive all shared a capacity of 14GB total instead of it being partitioned up to ~8GB, 1GB, and 5GB?

G

well they promise "8GB" or whatever for gmail but its so hard to actually use the space that the expected usage is far less than 8GB and so google has some internal function that will estimate the expectation of usage, which takes into account max size and ease of use and traits of actual users, so when they offer 8GB it doesnt actually incur the whole 8GB cost to google, but if they offered 5GB on gdrive, it might actually cost google way more in actual space than the 8GB promised through Gmail.

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I have around 6.5G though referrals from Dropbox, yet I'm barely using 200-300meg.

Don't think that if people have "N" gigabytes they will ALL fill them to the top. Most people use these services as temporary backups or device to device transfer, not more.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]Raidur[/nom]*shrugI'll stick to my physical drives.[/citation]

What happens when your house burns down and your drives get damaged? I keep 2-3 physical copies on spereate drives and 1 cloud copy.

5GB from Google is weak. MSFT offers me 5GB of active sync plus 25GB of storage. I hope they do bump up the size once the service starts to expand. Competition is good.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]Raidur[/nom]*shrugI'll stick to my physical drives.[/citation]
It's going to be very interesting when more people realize Google already indexes their physical drives without them even knowing it.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
With the state of 'high speed' internet in the US try uploading 5GB of data like you would for a backup (does anyone still have only 5GB to back up).
Until we get true igh speed internet service both up- and downstream the whole cloud business is not as useful as it could be.
Besides, you really want to entrust your 'backups' to an entity that is not liable in case of a loss ?

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I wouldn't mind using their cloud storage if I had a decent bandwidth cap, instead of this absurd 5GB/month. Decent speed would be nice also, like 50mbit/s instead of max 5mbit/s.

Then of course I'd use Truecrypt 256bit AES with a 20+ character password before uploading.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I use skydrive all the time. It's great for collaborative works. Just imagine having to send a 10mb email to 20 people. Or sending 500mb of files. It just doesn't work. I like these services. Don't confuse this with cloud services.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I can see people using this for school and backing up somewhat less important docs for work but most won't likely have much use for it except for those who are always working between comps in many locations. 5gb isn't much but oh well.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]I use skydrive all the time. It's great for collaborative works. Just imagine having to send a 10mb email to 20 people. Or sending 500mb of files. It just doesn't work. I like these services. Don't confuse this with cloud services.[/citation]
They are cloud services, cloud is just online backup and access to files instead of storing them on a physical drive at your location. Cloud is not just one thing, it is pretty much any service that stores your files on them like an HDD but that is hosted by another company on the internet.

Erich_18

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
MS in my opinion still has the better option with skydrive, I use skydrive everyday for work, home and my personal stuff. 25gb free space cant go wrong with that. Unfortunately no good apps for my ipad, can only access skydrive to barely view my files without editing thats the only downside.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I think I'd still prefer Microsoft's Skydrive and Dropbox, even if I have to pay for it - I'm just glad those two companies don't use my data for advertisement purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.