Google Fiber Now Going Live in Kansas City

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
It's no use, with the grip of anti piracy corporations in the US, what would you do with that lots of bandwidth?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
"At up to 1000 Mb per second, Google Fiber is 100 times faster than today's average Internet, allowing you to get what you want instantaneously," Google said. "You no longer have to wait on things buffering; everything will be ready to go when you are."

As long as the server in the other end can handle it.... (got 100/100 today and its rarely fully used due to slow servers in the other end or routed through choke points on the net or worse... both!).

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]It's no use, with the grip of anti piracy corporations in the US, what would you do with that lots of bandwidth?[/citation]
So piracy is the only use for highspeed at home?
1. I see a use for home hosted low ping gameservers.
2. Mass storage across multiple places without needing a 3rd party 'cloud',
3. Transfers of large files to and from home/workplace like huge autocad or solidwork files. Or large multigig VMware images from FTP.
4. Cluster computing across internet realtime no longer limited to local network due to bandwidth bottleneck.
5. Able to game in a household of 7 PC's (like here) WHILE son downloads his games from steam, wife is streaming netflix on TV and daughter is in her room playing tube at 1080. Just that stresses my 50mbps connection on ping..I have to forces QoS on in router to deal with it.

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Im in IT and telecommute, could certainly use it. I have FIOS and its great so im hoping this pricing catches on as FIOS can scale bandwidth up that high.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I currently have FIOS. If Google came to my town and installed fiber I would drop FIOS and go with them in an instant! Verizon is too slow and way too ridiculously expensive! The Google rates are half what I pay now. Myself and the other 2 heavy internet users in my household will find all sorts of uses for the faster speeds.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]tydalwave[/nom]So this is faster than transferring from HDD to HDD or even SSD to SSD?[/citation]
Gigabit =~ 100 MB/s that`s about 5 times slower that theoretical speed of current SSDs

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]tydalwave[/nom]So this is faster than transferring from HDD to HDD or even SSD to SSD?[/citation]

1000 gigabit is equal to 125 megabytes. Google Fiber is fast enough to max out the transfer speed for most HDD. Good SSD get reads and writes in excess of 300 MB/s.

G

Actually even the "free" service is a good deal. $300 construction fee and they guarantee free service for at least 7 years. Figures out to only $3.50 a month for a 5 Mbps down / 1 Mbps up service. Most people pay like $50 a month for that now...

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
If everyone gets that kind of bandwidth, then there should be no need for piracy. More companies like Netflix will spring up and that will hopefully drive prices down. I think that is what big Hollywood really fears.

Status
Not open for further replies.