Google Files Application to Operate TV Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Amazing how things are changing but one must wondering how tyrannical Google will be years from now. Perhaps the next AT&T to sour the digital world.

G

I don't know about years from now, but right now I'd pay for Google's cable. Regular cable companies aren't horrible where I'm at; too expensive for what I get. Either expensive basic cable or really expensive cable with 1000s of extra channels I pay for just to get the 3 channels I want...

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Hopefully better than youtube. It sucks when you are trying to watch something that is not currently popular and it takes forever to buffer in 480i when you have 25Mb internet service...

smelly_feet

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Is this what will be replacing SageTV? Google aquired (ate) it. I guess they have to plans to rebrand it and decided to kill it off.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Amazing how things are changing but one must wondering how tyrannical Google will be years from now. Perhaps the next AT&T to sour the digital world.[/citation]

It's more a sign how far behind the US is compared to for example Sweden.
We have had ip-tv services like this for six years, with Hd for the last couple of years here in Sweden.

And with some subscriptions you actually get the same type of "program library" (which it is called by Telia, an ISP in Sweden) with TV-on-demand for most programs.
And you don't have to have gigabit broadband for that. With my 24 down /2.5 up megabit ADSL I still get HDTV on the IPTV subscription.
This type of IpTV subcription is available to a great majority of the population (perhaps more than 90%), if they want it.

So nothing new or specatular about this. Just the logical progress that the US haven't experienced yet.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]agnickolov[/nom]My understanding was that Google will offer 1Gbps service, not 1GBps (e.g. 8Gbps). Typo perhaps?[/citation]
Even so, that's the max most routers would support. 1000 lan can finally be used not just for in house file transfers (on a consumer scale) lol
If the price to have this is reasonable, i'd be getting this for sure. I live in Iowa so it shouldn't be too long before they move their services a state over. :)

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]The US cable companies COULD have done this years ago. It has been their choice to overcharge for underperforming tech. I hope Google DESTROYS them.[/citation]

I don't think that part will happen. Cable companies such as Comcast will have to change their business model to stay in business which they will. I have their high speed internet via cable and it's been great. With NetFlix and HuluPlus really makes me wonder why didn't I ditched CATV long time ago. Satellite and Cable companies are feeling the pinch in CATV in terms of losing subs so rather than abandonded all of that several millions and millions of dollars they spent in their cable infrastructure they will just repurpose it to carry ISP stuff and phase out tradditional CATV services in favor of on-demand TV. This will give us more control to weed out alot of the crap we don't want to watch.

Competition is a good thing.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Google will never be a major player. They would need to invest hundreds of billions in infrastructure to be a major player.[/citation]

The world is different nowadays. Maybe they won't need to. Besides, they DO have billions...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Google will never be a major player. They would need to invest hundreds of billions in infrastructure to be a major player.[/citation]

if they lay down the fiber optic, and get everyone up to japans level of internet (1gb up and down for 20-30$ a month unlimited) there wont be a single person who wont switch to it or even pay the cancel fees on a contract to move over to it.

if they also have an extensive cable tv experience with it, without the 200$ price point... or even have an on demand style of broadcasting... i dont think there would be a single person who would stick with cable or sat if they offered similar packages for cheaper. do they need 100's of billions... hell no... we have a fair amount of infrastructure for a backbone of the internet already, its piggybacking off that to reach everyone that will cost them... but look at it this way, if they start in a major city, and try to hit as many small towns on the way... they could realistically become a major player in 10 years, cable and cell phones have shown us these corporate people dont want to upgrade their networks, and they show it so often it makes me sick...

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Amazing how things are changing but one must wondering how tyrannical Google will be years from now. Perhaps the next AT&T to sour the digital world.[/citation]
They seem to be benevolent tyrants, so I'm happy :)

jungleboogiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
I'd like to see Google TV differentiate itself from the typical cable TV offerings by not including mainstream media, such as Disney, Fox, NBC, HBO, CNN and the movie industry. Google needs to create its own low cost content so services can be provided dirt cheap. If I really want HBO I can still go through Comcast or Time Warner, but I could also supplement that with Google TV for a Netflix type price. Comcast and Time Warner aren't driving up prices because they want to, it's because the content providers demand top dollar. By competing with the content providers they'll be forced to reduce pricing.

jungleboogiemonster

But Google's main business model is to acquire content free from content producers, and then capitalize on it. Witness their grabbing of every book in the world.

There was mention of antenna farms, grabbing content, storing and re-serving it... but none of licensing arrangements with the original content providers. This has become par for the course for the big G.

Status
Not open for further replies.