Google Forced To Give Viacom Video Logs, But Can Keep Search Source Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

skittle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
shameful, but this little tidbit is interesting:
Google’s attorneys tried to block the request on privacy grounds, but Stanton argued that IP addresses aren’t accurate enough to provide the true identity of the video viewer. Google has also been ordered to provide copies off all videos that have ever been removed from YouTube.

Isnt that one of the MAJOR arguments the RIAA uses in court to sue consumers? I hope the lawers of jamie thomas read that judgment.

matthroswell

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
F Viacom. Google is definitely the lesser of two evils here. Anyone who wants to watch 'Real World' or 'Tela Tequila' clips (much less replays of them in lower resolution 10 minute segments) is a scourge upon the earth who contributes very little, if anything, to society.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
[citation][nom]skittle[/nom]shameful, but this little tidbit is interesting:Isnt that one of the MAJOR arguments the RIAA uses in court to sue consumers? I hope the lawers of jamie thomas read that judgment.[/citation]

You beat me to it!

Remember that the judge said this when Viacom starts filing John Doe lawsuits to those addresses...

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Wow, Viacom wants to steal everything Google has; source code, advertiser database. Why don't they request Google's mainframe and servers while they're at it? After all, it used to contain copyrighted material so they belong to Viacom too.

klarkmdb

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Google has it's own business, and viacom wants to take a piece of that pie. Tsk, tsk, they really want to take advantage of an oppoturnity even if it means deviating from the real stake.

G

That was a bad attempt of Viacom, trying to get their hands on Goggle's core business secrets. Shame on you Viacom! .|..

Hitokage

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
I want to see those bastards try and sue half the bloody Internet just for watching their shows online.

Sheesh, it's not like Google didn't remove them as they showed up. Besides... what does Viacom need with Google's search engine source code? There is absolutely no reason for that. That's like stealing a kid's lunch money, being forced to give it back... and your house, just in spite.

G

This is a shame. Viacom wants Google's business because they want another way to get their mind dumbing MTV shows to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.