Google Forking WebKit Rendering Engine With Blink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Every time I hear about Chrome's "BLINK", I can't stop thinking about the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who.

k7mm

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
This seems more of a strategic move because Google couldn't make any major changes to webkit that would make performance on OS X and iOS look bad.

ibnmuhammad

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
I'd like to think there's genuinely a valid reason for forking AppleWebKit, but something tells me, Google being who they are that...

Like chunks of Android code, it will become closed-source and riddled with Google spyware / phone-home code which they couldn't place in WebKit - due to Apple and community supervision.

Oh well, another Google spyware on top of Android / Chrome / Doubleclick / Analytics / Google+ / DNS AdSense / Mail / Search / etc.

What's the common element here?
Google only create a product if they can get more data on individuals and their personal habits, location, pictures, etc.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]ibnmuhammad[/nom]....Like chunks of Android code, it will become closed-source and riddled with Google spyware / phone-home code which they couldn't place in WebKit...What's the common element here?...[/citation]

Android OS is completely 100% open source, go download the code below, the Google apps are not open source though. http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html

As for being riddled with Spyware, the OS itself is clean, but the google apps do talk back to google servers, so I guess the definition is open to interpretation. At least google tells you what it does with your information (in both regular english and legalese) and gives you the option to opt out.

Google wanting to send me an Advertisement for a deodorant sale at my local walgreens after I youtube an old spice commercial doesn't really concern me, but to each there own.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ibnmuhammad[/nom]I'd like to think there's genuinely a valid reason for forking AppleWebKit, but something tells me, Google being who they are that...Like chunks of Android code, it will become closed-source and riddled with Google spyware / phone-home code which they couldn't place in WebKit - due to Apple and community supervision.Oh well, another Google spyware on top of Android / Chrome / Doubleclick / Analytics / Google+ / DNS AdSense / Mail / Search / etc.What's the common element here?Google only create a product if they can get more data on individuals and their personal habits, location, pictures, etc.[/citation]
Blink will never be closed source, at least not completely, for the same reason WebKit won't be completely closed source. Blink is a for of WebKit and in turn WebKit is a fork of KHTML and KJS. Since KHTML and KJS have a GNU LGPL license, this will force that both WebKit and Blink also use a GNU LGPL license (for the rendering and javascript engine).

Status
Not open for further replies.