Google Invested $3 Million in Cree LED Lightbulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
I'll hold out for semi-affordable 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs, thanks. These ones are too dim and too costly for most of my fixtures.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
damn, i guess everyone is jumping on the "be green" bandwagon...i just hope that the light bulb does not steal my passwords, lol

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]damn, i guess everyone is jumping on the "be green" bandwagon...[/citation]

Getting stuff like this finally done really should have nothing to do with being green. It's to do with how long they last and how much less it costs to use.

After all, with the old incandescents technically the light they give off is a byproduct. They really just produce heat.

There's alot of other stuff that should be done for practical reasons only. Things like hybrid cars though are pointless if you did want to be "green" since the manufacturing process for the batteries isn't green at all to begin with.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
The unfortunate thing is that LED's, at this time, aren't much more efficient than fluorescent bulbs.
Sodium lamps (both high pressure and more so low pressure) are even more efficient.
LED's just last a lot longer. :)

claec

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
ah heck, at first glance I thought it was talking about a 450 lumen flashlight for $25 and I got excited. But seriously, $25 for a lightbulb? Give me 25 CFLs! 13 watts and 825 lumens and much better lighting.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
That isn't any better than a modern spiral fluroscent bulb. I am holding in my hand a MaxLite bulb; 18 watts for 1150 Lumens.
=63.88 Lumens/watt.
This LED bulb thing is 450 Lumens for 7 watts. 64.28 Lumens/watt.

LED technology isn't there yet! The only advantage is no mercury.

serkol

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
> LED technology isn't there yet! The only advantage is no mercury.

That's a big advantage. Other advantages:
- they last much longer
- they don't flicker
- instant full-brightness ON (no warm up time)
- dimmable

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]I'll hold out for semi-affordable 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs, thanks. These ones are too dim and too costly for most of my fixtures.[/citation]
Agreed. However, I think this would work very well for a small desk lamp,etc.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]LED technology isn't there yet! The only advantage is no mercury.[/citation]

Their two biggest problems in getting to mainstream are getting the color of the light correct, and getting them to be less directional with the light they output.

marokero

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]...64.28 Lumens/watt.LED technology isn't there yet![/citation]

Cree's own XP-G emiters already put out 132 lumens/watt. What needs to happen is price to come down on LED products. A triple XP-G star sells for around $22 each, and needs a driver that can cost almost as much. Once prices go down, and color gets better fidelity, then LEDs will take off. That triple XP-G star can put out 1000 lumens at 9.9W, and there are other LED products like Luminus Devices' SST-90 that puts out over 2000 lumens from a single emiter... oh yeah, heat is another issue, a BIG issue to be addressed.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
As my CFLs begin to wear out, I hope the issues of cost and diffusion on LED lighting can be addressed. As they are now, I may still buy one for a desk lamp just for the coolness factor.

marokero

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Whenever I can I try to replace CFL and incandescent bulbs with an LED solution. If I can't find one, I build one. Like the Riegel.LR I built for my living room (~2000 lumens and it only uses 36W):

http://marokero.com/Riegel.LR/

I might tackle my kitchen next, as one of the CFL tubes keeps failing, and it's not nearly as bright as I'd like it to be. Not cheap, but I love building these.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]I'll hold out for semi-affordable 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs, thanks. These ones are too dim and too costly for most of my fixtures.[/citation]

I have to argee, these bulbs only put out the old equiqellent of 30 watts. Not bad for a dim bedroom mood lighting but not enough for most purposes.

Let me know when they can put out at least 800 lumens and cost about $5 (or less).

ccx

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
These are no better than the early days of CFLs. I got 3 LED lights from Sams club awhile ago in the 20-30$ range. 2 are no longer working after what I would guess is less than a few hundred hours of running and the 3rd only half the LEDs lights up. Ill buy them again but not until a major company like GE has tested them. CFLs are good enough for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.