Google Launches Free Public DNS Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Call me BASIC, but I don't quite understand this. My knowledge of networking is weak. Would someone mind explaining this to me in more detail?

city_zen

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I've just tested one of Google's DNS servers speed against my ISP's DNS server and Google's server is slower. Noticeably slower.
I suggest everybody do the same before switching your DNS servers to Google's.
A great tool to gauge the performance of DNS servers is Silverwolf's DNS Performance Test
Of course, Google's DNS server may offer better security, but faster they are not.

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
This is serious!
They have complete control over what you see if you use their DNS.

No thanks, I'll use an impartial 3rd party and run a local caching DNS server.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
So, I may be stupid about DNS, but why exactly would I want to switch to google? I dont understand the point. Would using google make it harder for comcast to monitor me? or is this only relevant to people with slow ineffective ISPs?

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Well I wouldn't say that it is not worth a shot.

What I will say is that it may be good for torrenting though, may not be faster but being an open DNS that anyone can join, they'd have quite a few IP's to shift through to find the person that is downloading the file.

Also "deadlockedworld" yes, due to the fact that you would not be connected to Comcast's server, they would not manage to monitor you I believe.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom] Would using google make it harder for comcast to monitor me? [/citation]
Yep, especially for google. Google will have no idea, what sitea you're browsing. [/nonsense]

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I do like the free service...

...however, as Kevin writes...
Google is apparently trying to rule the world,
...leech out into the Internet like an evil network of roots.,
Google this, Google that.... Google is everywhere.,
a plot to rule the Internet.
I

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
knowing google - it will be good free service that will spy on you in the background and offer you google ads relating to your browsing habits... Now I am not quite sure if I prefer seeing ads relevant to myself at cost of my privacy... or not seeing any at cost of not knowing who knows... Let's face it - ISPs probably monitor us anyway...

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
[idle speculation]
There are zillions of vulnerable PCs out there. This test refines Google's ability to identify them. Once that is done, the service becomes no longer "experimental," and gets a big ad campaign to get people to use it. Some months after that, someone at Google HQ flips a switch. Every PC found to have had a certain vulnerability will be directed to a source of exploit code. We don't get Skynet, we get Googlenet. All your wallets are belong to us.
[/idle speculation]

joesmith

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Nothing like unbiased reporting.

"Google is apparently trying to rule the world, offering a multitude of services that seemingly leech out into the Internet like an evil network of roots."

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Yep, especially for google. Google will have no idea, what sitea you're browsing. [/nonsense][/citation]

I'm sorry but if i have to choose I would much rather have Google monitoring me than Comcast. Google hasn't actually done anything evil yet--Comcast screws me and the internet every damn chance they get.

Status
Not open for further replies.