Jun 13, 2008
Google, I have a few words for you:
"Trash them, trash them in a court of law and then trash them agian!"

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I'm with Google on this one.
1) I've never heard of Frontier Comm
2) They sued on the same day? already prepared I see.
3) "infringement of the patent significantly and "irreparably" damaged Frontier..."
how is it irreparable? doesn't make sense. Just because you see 1.5% market drop this year, it doesn't mean it was caused by Google. It was caused by you!

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Google has been using the voice service as a beta for 6 months or more I think. I doubt they stand a chance, and will waste more money trying to settle this .

jojesa

Distinguished
I have been using google voice since last year.
I don't if Frontier Communications Corp is aware that AT&T had a service (True Connections 500)just like the Google Voice service since the early 1990s.
Furthermore Google got this service when it acquire GrandCentral in 2007.
They just want a piece of the pie but they failed to do a little bit of research.
Why

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Vonage has offered this service for years now. My dad has it for his insurance business.

On top of that, don't call center phone systems with hunt groups do this same thing?

Their patent is so invalid.

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I thought it took quite a while to actually have a patent filed. I would assume it would take at least a few weeks for a patent to be researched against other patents and validated? Maybe they placed the patent order a while ago and it just so happens the patent was coincedentally filed on that date? I am sure Google must have patented this idea...unless they don't bother placing patents on everything because all that red tape impedes progress? Plus they have far too much money to actually worry about having to compensate someone if they do infringe. Especially such a new product that has not made any money yet. What could possibly be the damages? I bet its not more than ten million. The CEO of Google probably carries that around in his wallet.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Well isn't this ironic.

I've used Google Voice since the beta was first released. And my internet provider happens to be Frontier Communications.

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
this company should stfu, its still making money and putting out dividends. In the past 1 year, their stock has gone up around 8%. Yeah, google's has gone up by 16%, but I don't see any damage being done when you're still making money and growing. Since beginning in the 70's the stock price has gone up by 213%.

And its about time the patent system is redone, too many bs patents being given out.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Why do people always think they can take down Corporate giants? Google's team of lawyers probably costs more than Frontier makes annually.

RogueKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
The Stamford, Connecticut-based company provides phone, Internet access, and satellite TV, and has seen a 1.5-percent drop in market value this year alone.

did they ever stop to think that they might offer crappy internet connection, or bad TV listings as the cause for the loss of business? Just because your business suc.... is not as popular as another business doesnt mean they are purposely trying to put you out of business with all of their might by "stealing" your ideas.

jakmove

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
This is a feature with any VOIP system. I don't see where the issue is, or how this company can hold a patent on it. They weren't the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.