Google Making Language Translation Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Cause you're probably stuck in Hickville for life, Jim Bob! Not all people around the world know how to speak english.

grillz9909

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
No more foreign language classes? haha
Either way, the world needs to have one official language. Chinese, German, English, idc.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Oh man I'm laughing thinking about having something in my ear that is translating say Spanish and it makes as many mistakes as the Google Voice voicemail to text translater does. "Wait, what? You want dried papaya vytek?"

Cool thought. A lot of work to do.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
wow, this would be HUGE. Imagine being able to communicate anywhere you go.
For example... I goto Mexico on vacation and only know a few words in Spanish. LOL Call the waiter and he can hear in Spanish what you want. Yah it seems retarded but seriously if you HAD to communicate in another language it would be a easy solution.

I could finally order something other then cerveza

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]grillz9909[/nom]No more foreign language classes? hahaEither way, the world needs to have one official language. Chinese, German, English, idc.[/citation]

Let's just put aside the "how" argument here and I'll simply ask, why? Why does the world need one official language?

grillz9909

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Let's just put aside the "how" argument here and I'll simply ask, why? Why does the world need one official language?[/citation]

So humans can finally understand each other. Would we need to have huge wars against another country, if the people of both countries can understand what is going on? I think it would be easier to just sit down and talk. That's just my opinion though, maybe it's best that we alienate ourselves from... ourselves?

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
Would be pretty awesome to have a universal translator like in star trek. Now everyone can speak english!

Google will have to work on their translations though. People of different regions sometimes have "sayings" that lose meaning when translated or can cause misunderstandings.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Um, doubt this will work all that well, especially when the grammar of two languages is significantly different. Take Japanese for instance, when using Japanese, subject comes first (and is often omitted after first use) followed by any objects and verb is last, where as English is subject verb then object. I have great doubts that this will work all that well. I think the technology is still far off. I mean just try using google page translator, it is still seriously lacking in the accuracy department.

amarok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Yet another way google can cram their ubiquitous advertising down the throats of people.
Wouldn't be surprised if they secretly "listen" to the conversation and if the users also should be using google app. - gmail, goggle docs what have you...they will subtle show adverts targeted these users..

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
/facepalm

Language is most certainly not the cause of modern wars. Maybe back in the day, but not in the last several hundred years for sure.

The incorrect assumption you make is that all human beings are generaly decent and willing to talk it out. Their not. A great many of them are greedy and willing to kill to make their pile of stuff bigger.

fjjb

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
this seems good, but man our childrens need to learn new languages, i dont think this is gonna let them, i mean almost every kid has a phone!

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Universal translators are only a few years away? That would be pretty awesome, i just hope it doesnt sound like a robot is speaking to you once its translated on the other end of the call.

pinetree

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Whatever you do, dont say "I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle" while using one of these Babel phones!

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Sometimes the online translations do not work very well. Sometimes the translations are funny. I would expect voice translation to exhibit the same problems.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
I'm less than enthusiastic about this approach, although I'm down with technology. This is nothing else than an excuse for people to stop learning foreign languages.

My first gripe is that machine translation more often than not contains tons of errors. Even when it gets right, something is still missing. You lose human touch, sense and soul.

The next thing that worries me is that this is just another thing that would make your brain go numb. When you take away the stimuli, that's when your brain loses interest and there goes intelligence down the drain.

Secondly, we are becoming nothing more than couch potatoes, with machines doing the working, the speaking, the entertainment and whatnot. Ultimately, machines will realize that we're actually the weak link and will start doing the "living" for us as well.

keldor314

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Why do I suddenly envision huge Chinese telemarketing farms using this technology to allow millions of non-English speaking cheap employees to bombard us with advertisements for penal enlargement remedies? Seriously, we all know this will happen...

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
"Do you think a real-world Babel Fish could eventually take away the need for people to learn multiple languages?"
Since a babel fish is an animal feeding off of brainwaves it's highly unlikely that this bbc brainchild will ever become a reality. BUT I suppose with enough processing power a realtime translation system would actually work reliably enough for everyday use. I would still use carbon based translators for politics and other situation where incorrect translations can have severe consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.