Google May Alter Search to End FTC Antitrust Inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
"Google CEO Larry Page had said in October that in many cases it doesn't make sense to direct traffic to a competitor. When users are searching for something, he stressed that they're not particularly looking for "links to other search engines," but solely the product they were initially searching for. "I think you want product information; you want to buy something."

This. If someone wants links to other engines' search results, they should use the other engines to begin with.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I wonder what was going on during those two years...[/citation]

Blowjobs.

What do you expect? Government doesn't work in a day, it takes TIME to file frivilous and needless lawsuits.

kajunchicken

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
As much as I understand why you guys disagree with Google being forced to do these things, it is just as bad to ignore Google as it gets bigger an bigger. A monopoly anywhere, particularly over the internet is a bad thing. If you control the majority of the internet, in many ways you control the world.
Having no competition is also bad for innovation. Before Bing came along, Google was sitting pretty comfortably in the lead and their search format hadn't changed for years. As it became clear that there was going to be at least somewhat serious competition, Google started rolling out new features like instant search and previews. So while you may love Google, think about the advantages of preventing monopoly at the same time.

misterawsome

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
[citation][nom]Kajunchicken[/nom]As much as I understand why you guys disagree with Google being forced to do these things, it is just as bad to ignore Google as it gets bigger an bigger. A monopoly anywhere, particularly over the internet is a bad thing. If you control the majority of the internet, in many ways you control the world.Having no competition is also bad for innovation. Before Bing came along, Google was sitting pretty comfortably in the lead and their search format hadn't changed for years. As it became clear that there was going to be at least somewhat serious competition, Google started rolling out new features like instant search and previews. So while you may love Google, think about the advantages of preventing monopoly at the same time.[/citation]
since when has anyone used bing

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]Kajunchicken[/nom]As much as I understand why you guys disagree with Google being forced to do these things, it is just as bad to ignore Google as it gets bigger an bigger. A monopoly anywhere, particularly over the internet is a bad thing. If you control the majority of the internet, in many ways you control the world.Having no competition is also bad for innovation. Before Bing came along, Google was sitting pretty comfortably in the lead and their search format hadn't changed for years. As it became clear that there was going to be at least somewhat serious competition, Google started rolling out new features like instant search and previews. So while you may love Google, think about the advantages of preventing monopoly at the same time.[/citation]
Although, I am more likely to trust a company if they are investing their cash in other tech such as alternative power, hands- free driving, building out FIBER etc. What I see in America is an inability for other companies to compete and sit on their laurels, thereby raking in enormous profits and transferring that welath the the elite. I would much rather see someone like google challange that notion and bring out more FIBER (mwahahahaa) j/k We've been shakled by the big ISP's for years, time for tht to change.

(The big question is, what dow we do when google controls, serach, isp, automotive and power generation) I'll leave that to my kids to figure out. All for it if it brings down price.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
If Google won't be able to use fragments of text from other pages to show in their search results, but other search engines will, this would be very unfair advantage of the competition.

And if no search engine will be able to show fragments of text in the search results, this will be very bad for the consumer.
I like the text. It makes the difference between "working out in cold weather" and "working out with a cold"

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Since I, the consumer, the demand, likes the fragments of text in my search, Google/Bing/DuckDuckGo, the supplier, could implement it via "opt out" for those who don't want text fragments to be used like that, or even an "opt in" program.
Then it will be fun to see how users will more likely to click on a link with some text displayed rather than a link with nothing in. I will love to see how the traffic to Yelp will fall after this, while the traffic to other sites that are fine with text displayed like that to rise.

xcomvic

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Google is going to take over the world just like SkyNet was supposed to do...except this time in the real world, you know?

ven1ger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

I don't think anyone wants a Google monopoly, but what I think most people disagree with is why the investigation and wanting to pounce on Google. You have to look at the motivation behind these attacks, individuals don't have a problem with the searches on Google, otherwise they would go to some other search engine. Google is what people use because they like it, and they prefer it. Why is it considered a monopoly, it's free, you choose to use it, but just because it is the best at what it does, others (you know who) want to take down Google because they can't compete against Google.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]Blowjobs.What do you expect? Government doesn't work in a day, it takes TIME to file frivolous and needless lawsuits.[/citation]
if for some reason i couldn't type bing or yahoo, than yea, they would have a legitimate case,

Status
Not open for further replies.