Google May Build Bandwidth Throttling Feature Into Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

stblaise

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Well I wont buy it....the concept, meaning I will probably not buy the product either. I hate Apple and now this, makes it likely that my next communication system may be POTS or cans and strings

G

In b4 delusional SamSUCK / Google kids scramble to defend this! This is the only "innovative feature" Android can claim over Apple,LOL!

frozonic

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
The upside of such a feature, as opposed to hard caps which automatically purchase another data volume package and potentially surprise the user with a high bill, is that a user may actually notice that an unusually large amount of data is transferred. The technology would also allow for a carrier to offer the user to purchase additional data volume upon request.
companies this days do whatever they can to steal your money

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]cmg5217[/nom]Just one more reason to root your phone.[/citation]

Or move to the last US carrier that allows for unlimited data (sprint), while that lasts anyway.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]cmg5217[/nom]Just one more reason to root your phone.[/citation]

ye was about to say that, I'm sure with rooting you can remove it.

chriskrawczyk

Honorable
May 8, 2012
I too will be rooting my phone if this happens! I'm so appalled by this idea I actually created an account (though I've been visiting for years) just to voice my distaste. No way am I going to sit back and take that kind of abuse; as I'm sure many of you won't either. Carriers are dreaming if they think people won't circumvent that right quick lol!

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]samSUCK0000[/nom]In b4 delusional SamSUCK / Google kids scramble to defend this! This is the only "innovative feature" Android can claim over Apple,LOL![/citation]

I hope you hold your smartphones better than your fingertip clutch on reality, my friend.

To those of us with an IQ in double or triple digits: It's not that I really see a difference between my carrier throttling me at their end (as they do now) or throttling me on my device. Rather, I can't imagine them not taking the opportunity to bloody rob me blind - perhaps by offering "tiered access speeds" where you must pay more in order for your handset to run faster on the Internet.

Can you imagine that? As well as being regularly pestered to buy faster/larger packages via the handy new advertising feature built into the OS?

With the coming of true 4G and superfast broadband on the go, this really smells like a subtle attempt to introduce the same pay-more-for-faster-access model we suffer when shopping for home-broadband services.

zzz_b

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
They should make illegal the pop-ups, because that eats a lot of useless data.

Yes, you can disable it, but still...

maikerser

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Awesome.
hh.gif

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I don't like it at all. We're giving companies the power to limit our data consumption (unless we pay the premium, of course) when it should be the other way around. It's a huge step backward.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]For all the things that are positive about Android this doesn't add to them.[/citation]You can't really blame Google / Android. It is the wireless carriers that are demanding this type of product feature.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I understand it is difficult for a U.S. Carrier to provide coverage for all these wireless protocols over such a large area.
It still hurts me paying $200 a month for 3 phones with data services on Sprint...

Status
Not open for further replies.