Google Now Censoring BitTorrent, RapidShare

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I use Google auto-complete for the Android App store, and that's about it. It must just be me or Opera, but that new live-result search thingy never propagated to my computer. I've seen it no my wife's computer, but I still have to hit enter before I get any search results (yes, auto-complete does appear for me).

I just don't like the precedence this sets. I'm sure a lot of companies depend on auto-complete and what not for a significant flow of traffic. Sure, for now Google is censoring for "copyright holders (a-la "won't somebody think of the children"), how long before they start censoring for profit? I wonder, will Google still allow those terms for its advertisers? Pay us $XXXX to put your search term at the top of auto-complete? I dunno, just sayin.

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I was already starting to use Bing for searches anyway.... try it and compare I have found a wider range of results than Google anyway!

Filtering of any sort is a failure of their principles even at this miniscule stage.

Google=Filtering=Dying

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
OMG! Just type what you want and press enter! It's only been a few months since you've had to not press enter. Nothing has happend.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]ehh.....it's not censoring...it's just the autocomplete that's taken out...[/citation]
Why would they blacklist specific terms from auto complete in the first damned place? Because some of their big spenders said so. This is designed to meant to hinder searches for those terms. That's how it starts, small, so nobody notices. Bit by binary bit.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
maybe 'bittorrent' should change their name to 'googlz', so google would have to filter out the word starting with 'googl...' :D

G

What happened to don't be evil, Google? Bowing to pressure to censor is a bit evil, don't you think?

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Do No Evil.. except maybe side with RIAA and MPAA.

Can't get much more evil than that.

Doesn't matter anyway. Just more people moving to Bing.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
As long as they're not removed from the search results (as this terrible title seems to imply), I'm fine with it. Who needs auto-complete anyway.

asdfghjkl

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Interesting though that searches on "life-ruining" websites like Encyclopedia Dramatica and 4chan still pop up. Google doesn't understand human rights.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]xaios[/nom]A fellow I know released an album on the internet on the new year. Within 3 days of the release of the album, perhaps 8 or so of the results Google came up with weren't about a torrent or RapidShare link to download it illegally. There were literall THOUSANDS of illegal download links within 3 days of him posting the release. It was just shameful.[/citation]
That doesn't sound shameful to me. It sounds more like his album is popular and is more likely to attract buyers.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Google has silently rolled out a filtering system to please the entertainment industry.

what kind of lies are you telling? i just tested out every single search you typed the way you typed it, into google search and it autocompleted just fine.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Xaios: I agree with you. I was reading your comment too fast. It's just that sometimes I believe that people worry too much about the torrent/p2p thing when it can actually help spreading the music, but when you search Google the legal alternatives should be shown first and be more accessible than the other ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.