Google Pays Apple $100,000,000/Year for Search

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stratplaya

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
That seems like a bad move in the first place by Google. Why pay $100 Million to be the default search tool when you are already the default search tool most people use? Oh well, they must have cash to burn.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Abrahm - I think it's the latter. Apple knows that Android devices are going to take over the market and render the iPhone a niche just like the Mac. They are trying their best to delay the inevitable.Abrahm your either on crack or meth if you think the Iphone or Imac is going away anytime soon. Unlikemicrosoft their buisness is actually still growing. I always get a kick out of these losers who try to convince the world AMD and Apple are just going to fall off the face of the earth tommorow. They havebeen saying it for a decade and it just never happens, instead they just keep growing.[/citation]

I bet you were one of the idiots who didn't understand why the smart kids had to study so hard for their exams to raise their marks by one percent whereas the dumb kids could just study a little bit (as opposed to not studying at all) and easily raise their marks by 5%.

It's harder to gain market share when you're already sitting at 80-90% since that last 10-20% is composed mostly of haters or die-hard apple fans.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
I seriously don't see anything dethroning the iPhone, at least in the short term. Even the current Android phones still lack the simplicity and full integration of the iPhone. Its getting better, but Apple beat everyone to the punch with these style of phones, and it still has the best one. Google would have to do a deal with the music and television industry to allow content to be purchased or downloaded directly through an easy interface.

Here's a suggestion for Google, instead of paying Apple that sort of cash, why not pull their apps from the iPhone and make them Android only? The YouTube player, Google Maps, voice search, etc.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
If people don't want to be attacked than perhaps they should stop saying rediculous things at the first chance they get. These Fanboy's come on here and attack the product they didn't choose to buy in an attempt to convince others not to buy it because they think it's not going to sell or be around much longer. It's stupidity in the Nth degree, I refuse to play nice with stupid Idiots.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I bet you were one of the idiots who didn't understand why the smart kids had to study so hard for their exams to raise their marks by one percent whereas the dumb kids could just study a little bit (as opposed to not studying at all) and easily raise their marks by 5%.

It's harder to gain market share when you're already sitting at 80-90% since that last 10-20% is composed mostly of haters or die-hard apple fans.

Here's another Fanboy that has his head up his Bung H_le. First of all i am not a die hard Apple fan any more than you are a retarded Microsoft Fanboy. Yes Microsoft has 80 percent of the market share
because they were the first ones to make bigger leaps in the begining. If everyone who has a PC today would take an Imac into their homes and try them for two weeks free of charge, I would bet the Farm that at least 50% would switch over to Apple the first chance they got. It's the same way with
car ownership, if you start out with Chevy when your young, chances are your going to be driveing them till you die unless you have a horrible expieriance with them. But that's here nor there, i could
care a less who has the bigger market share, that doesn't make a Pc better than a Imac, it just means
more people are still living under an old philosophys. And even that is here nor there, the point is it
is retarded to come on here and post that Iphone is going to die because of Android or Imac is going to
Die because of Win 7 or AMD is going to Die because Intel ownes 80 Percent market share. Those arguments are as stupid as stupid gets, it's ok to be stupid but please be stupid in your own home and
stop posting your stupidity here.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I'm using a WM6 smartphone so I am obviously not the great judge of things, but didn't the iPhone sell more phones last quarter with basically one phone on one network than all the Android handsets and networks have sold combined in over a year since the first was released? or at least very close to it. I wouldn't exactly say that Google is takingtoo much away from Apple at this point.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]If only 0.01% of that money went to me... I could make a decent living.[/citation]
You'd make a decent living with an added $10K? Not me.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Hey, Google, here's an idea: you keep the money and don't bother with this thing anymore. Everybody on this planet has heard of Google and the few that did not are not using any computers. You don't need any more advertising.

There, I just saved you $100,000,000.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]@ hakestermanDude, take a chill pill...wtf. You must have anger spit all over your keyboard.[/citation]
The least intelligent tend to be the most vocal.

karenskym

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]I bet you were one of the idiots who didn't understand why the smart kids had to study so hard for their exams to raise their marks by one percent whereas the dumb kids could just study a little bit (as opposed to not studying at all) and easily raise their marks by 5%.It's harder to gain market share when you're already sitting at 80-90% since that last 10-20% is composed mostly of haters or die-hard apple fans.Here's another Fanboy that has his head up his Bung H_le. First of all i am not a die hard Apple fan any more than you are a retarded Microsoft Fanboy. Yes Microsoft has 80 percent of the market sharebecause they were the first ones to make bigger leaps in the begining. If everyone who has a PC today would take an Imac into their homes and try them for two weeks free of charge, I would bet the Farm that at least 50% would switch over to Apple the first chance they got. It's the same way withcar ownership, if you start out with Chevy when your young, chances are your going to be driveing them till you die unless you have a horrible expieriance with them. But that's here nor there, i couldcare a less who has the bigger market share, that doesn't make a Pc better than a Imac, it just meansmore people are still living under an old philosophys. And even that is here nor there, the point is itis retarded to come on here and post that Iphone is going to die because of Android or Imac is going toDie because of Win 7 or AMD is going to Die because Intel ownes 80 Percent market share. Those arguments are as stupid as stupid gets, it's ok to be stupid but please be stupid in your own home andstop posting your stupidity here.[/citation]

WOW, He is just stating statistics hakesterman... He doesn't sound like a Microsoft Fanboi, you sound like a mac fanboi. You also cant say that most people will switch to mac. That is simply not true.

Also, APPLE AND MICROSOFT are not direct competitors. Jesus Christ, Jobs and Gates said that specifically in their 2007 joint interview and yet you people continue to fight about it.

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Man, I was JUST thinking about this yesterday. Mainly in relation to the map, but also to the browser. The fact that they are both google products is a huge selling point for me, and adds value. I guess for most people it doesn't matter, but I was wondering who paid who. I can't imagine that google pays apple to use the maps. That just doesn't make sense.

Who else would they have? Mapquest?

(keep thinking of that South Park. 'look it up on Ask Jeeves, then search for a geocities page. Where is it on mapquest?')

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
That's exactly my point, their not competing, Wow somebody finally get it. And last but not least i didn't say people would just switch to Mac. I said if you could get people to try IMac's for free for a few weeks
that alot would switch, and i will hold to that. I never thought i would switch until i seen a friends and
played on it for awhile. People with Pc's don't know any better if they don't ever try anything different. It's the same with their cars and their Soda Pop, unless you try you don't know weather it's better or not. I
tried and i know it's better, I don't have anywhere near the troubles i had with my Pc. But again i say that is here nor there, i could care a less. My main point is that Imac's or AMD or Iphone are not going to fade away because some other company has more market share. One clown was on here earlier trying to say that Android was going to over take Iphone, that's retarted, The iphone is the highest rated and most used phone on the planet, people are still paying oddles for a used one. The Android has less than 3 percent of the market, if it continues to sell at it's current rate it would take 4 years to catch Iphone sales. Again does that mean that the Iphone is better, No it doesn't, it just means that it
was the first phone to make big leaps and it has strong momentem like Windows does, doesn't mean it's better? No it just means people still useing old philosopy's.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]Android will never get the same market share as the iPhone, mostly due to the general public having next to no knowledge of it.[/citation]
No knowledge of it? What are you talking about? LOL I don't think you are considered "the general public"...

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
However, it's also possible that with Google now firmly established in the smartphone market and presenting a real threat to the iPhone, Apple just wants to switch search providers for the sake of keeping away from the competition.

Errr... so the right thing to do is choose a worse search provider than the competition, because the search provider IS the competition? I would much sooner change my phone than my search provider, meaning it will just annoy me with the trouble of setting up what should be default.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
@ Karenskym

Your Dumber than a box of Rocks or on Meth. And in either case your opinion is like an ahole, everyone has one. Some are pretty and yours is not. So there Sweetie..........

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
@ Abrahm

Sorry Abrahm no anger spit on my Keyboard, i am very neat and organized and always keep a fairly
cool head. I just like to put these one Dementianal people in their place. They actually think that just
because they choose one product over another that theirs is better. It's just silly crap, that's all.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]@ AbrahmSorry Abrahm no anger spit on my Keyboard, i am very neat and organized and always keep a fairlycool head. I just like to put these one Dementianal people in their place. They actually think that justbecause they choose one product over another that theirs is better. It's just silly crap, that's all.[/citation]

Read 'em and weep.

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=985912

...And before you make another post talking about people's intellect, at least learn some proper grammar. I would have thought by this time you would have already learned elemental spelling skills as well, however that day you must have been dozing off.

Status
Not open for further replies.