Google Play Matches Apple's iOS With 700,000 Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]LightningStryk17[/nom]How many of these 700k (apple's store as well) are actually useful and not crap.[/citation]

Probably the same number as on Android.

Curious to see how many paid vs free on Appstore and Google play.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
It appears that the iOS store is still where the money is at, as far as dev's are concerned. I'd like to see google's figures on how much it's paid out to dev's. I think that number would be much lower.

timbozero

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
On Google you can get a 'HelloWorld' app published. Apples quality control may be bad but at least there is some. More pertinent info would be number of apps downloaded and 'dollars' paid for those apps as a comparison !

timbozero

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
But I guess Google knows this which is why Apple made a big deal out of it (well fees paid out) in their presentation and (afaik) Google haven't told us.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
6.5Billion over 4 years to 700,000 apps.
So an App averages $20/month in profit for the developer.
Actually much less as the majority of the money goes just to the top 500 or so Apps of course.

Apple is pretty much the only one cleaning out in the Apps game. and to be fair, so are Google and M$

G

There was some research done that said somewhere around 10,000 Google apps do absolutely nothing, and many are designed specifically to steal personal data from your phone and abuse your data.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Figures the person with a valid point about how much Google has paid out gets thumbed down by the idiots. Google has reported payouts in the past and they are waaaay behind Apple. So far behind its embarrassing.

To the person taking total Apps and divided it into money paid, your calculations are pointless.

There are a huge number of free Apps where developers don't need to make money. My bank has an App for online banking. My university has an App. My hockey, football and basketball teams have Apps. Even my local butcher has an App. All free and provided as a SERVICE, not a way to make money for the developer.

These days an App is like having a web page.

Oh, and I see no mention of developers choice. iOS is still preferred by developers more than 2:1 vs Android. Developers know where the money is.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]...To the person taking total Apps and divided it into money paid, your calculations are pointless.There are a huge number of free Apps where developers don't need to make money.[/citation]

That is true. Many are free.
But than, if you bring 'earnings' into it you have to break down the numbers into free and paid Apps. Otherwise the numbers are as pointless as my simple statistics.
I could have calculated the standard deviation for you but I am not here to tick off people with college level math.

[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]It appears that the iOS store is still where the money is at, as far as dev's are concerned. I'd like to see google's figures on how much it's paid out to dev's. I think that number would be much lower.[/citation]
You can't compare the two that easily. Angry Birds for iOS is $0.99. Angry Birds for Android is free and Rovio makes money from inline ads. So to properly compare, you'd also have to ask every developer how much they made in ad revenue.

Also, Google Play is not the only Android market. You're free to add any market to Android if you wish - the most well-known is probably Amazon's App Store.

panini

Honorable
May 7, 2012
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]Probably the same number as on Android.Curious to see how many paid vs free on Appstore and Google play.[/citation]

Judging by Apple's approval process, I'm sure iOS has more 'working' apps that aren't scams. Too many times I have android apps not doing what they advertise.

monsta

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Seriously how many apps are you really using?
Talking cats and playing angry birds isn't exactly something to get excited about..
A lot of apps are useless, even on my tablet I prefer to use the desktop mode in the browser, I find the app versions are light diet coke and their notifications can be really annoying.
But good on Google for their progress and being competitive, a bonus for the Android users out there.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]panini[/nom]Judging by Apple's approval process, I'm sure iOS has more 'working' apps that aren't scams. Too many times I have android apps not doing what they advertise.[/citation]
So, you just install without checking the reviews?

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"You can't compare the two that easily. Angry Birds for iOS is $0.99. Angry Birds for Android is free and Rovio makes money from inline ads."

This is from very early in the life of Angry Birds-- but back in December 2010, they were selling the iOS version for $0.69 [after Apple's cut] and were making about the same every five months per user...

If you got an app that people will use a lot for a long time, ad supported can make you a ton more than selling it.

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/12/03/angry-birds-android-1-million-ad-revenue/

Status
Not open for further replies.