Google Remotely Deletes Apps on Android Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrust2night

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
"In fact, Google said the apps were pretty useless, and most people uninstalled it soon after the downloaded it, anyway."

It's not about apps being useless it's about not removing anything from a user's phone without consent. Key word here being consent which any company should learn to ask.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
If google released test applications for security purposes, and the applications served zero purpose anyway, then who cares of Google removed them from its users' phones? If anything it's freeing up space for them.

I get the whole "user privacy" thing, but if Google never had access to anyone's data, application, or usage stats just from this application, then no breach of privacy occurred.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
What I'm trying to say I guess is do you have to make your garbage man ask you first before he takes your garbage can? These were useless test dud applications that served zero purpose to the consumer, so they were garbage just taking up space.

On a separate note, most people don't realize that you probably have thrown away more personal information into the trash can than you've ever stored on your phone.

malekith2k5

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]What I'm trying to say I guess is do you have to make your garbage man ask you first before he takes your garbage can? [/citation]
No but if the garbage man came into my house without permission and took my garbage I'd be pretty pissed. This is what Google is doing and it is wrong regardless of the app.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I think the difference here, is Amazon removed an ebook that somebody purchased, while Google removed a total spam-app that was useless and cost the consumer nothing.

Yes, I am rather skeptical of some of Google's practices. I don't like how they want to store all my info and use it to provide targeted advertising. But, I can appreciate how Google might want to protect their users from a developer attempting to misuse the app store for who knows what.

I do think that the consumer needs to be much more picky about which apps they install. The people who get their information stolen are the same people responsible for making their information available in the first place.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Yeah, just like with Amazon, this sets a bad precedent. Send the user an alert that their app has been "recalled", and present them with an option to remove it immediately. Also, in the marketplace or app listing, mark the app as recalled (in case the user dismisses the first warning). However, nothing should be removed without user consent unless it is so malscious as to be causing actual harm to the customer.

"That poker game you downloaded has been sending virus emails to everyone in your contacts list, so we disabled it"

not Apple-style: "We didn't see a point to it personally, so we made the choice for you and removed it."

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I fail... I just re-read the article. Shame on me for skimming it!
[citation][nom]malekith2k5[/nom]No but if the garbage man came into my house without permission and took my garbage I'd be pretty pissed.[/citation]+1

I am against remote-uninstallation of any kind. If I downloaded the app, it's because I WANTED IT. If it's not what I expected, I WILL DELETE IT ON MY OWN. KTHXBAI.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]malekith2k5[/nom]No but if the garbage man came into my house without permission and took my garbage I'd be pretty pissed. This is what Google is doing and it is wrong regardless of the app.[/citation]
Exactly. There is a difference between emptying the can at the curb and breaking into my locked house to get that trash...

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
As long as the apps were free I don't really see a problem here. Regardless of if the app was useful or not, if the creator wants to withdraw their free app then I believe that's their right to do so.

Although, if some virus does reach my phone the chances of anybody "remotely removing" it would seem a bit challenging if its already a brick...

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Send the user an alert that their app has been "recalled"[/citation]I like this. It could be easily integrated into the app market, right were they say "Update Available". Make it say "Recalled" or "Malicious". I agree with your Poker game analogy as well, however, doesn't Google scan through apps that are uploaded? I would imagine apps need to be approved somewhere along the line...

israil

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
as long as Google sticks to their "Don't be evil" motto, I trust them to remove malicious content from my device. I'm sure they realize that at least 85% of smartphone users aren't smart enough to uninstall an app themselves.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]malekith2k5[/nom]No but if the garbage man came into my house without permission and took my garbage I'd be pretty pissed. This is what Google is doing and it is wrong regardless of the app.[/citation]

Saving me the trip to through the back to the dumpster AND preventing wife-nag reminders to take out the trash. I'd likely tip him! :)

I do agree that Google should have provided an update system that listed disabled apps for user removal. Disable immediately, allow the user to unlock that disable flag or uninstall in their normal app update process so they are aware of what is being done.

G

Let the consumer decide whether or not he wants the app. removed,
but explain the issues with the app.

FunYun

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
[citation][nom]NapoleonDK[/nom]I like this. It could be easily integrated into the app market, right were they say "Update Available". Make it say "Recalled" or "Malicious". I agree with your Poker game analogy as well, however, doesn't Google scan through apps that are uploaded? I would imagine apps need to be approved somewhere along the line...[/citation]

"One mans trash is another mans treasure"

Until I put the garbage in the trash, it is not trash. How would you like it if I went through your home and chose what to throw away for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.